Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2243 Pte Robert William Webster Royal Warwickshire

OwenMartin

Hi there, 

I have been doing a lot of family research recently and I decided to look into my great grandmothers father Robert William Webster, he was born in 1889 in London but lived in Coventry. Robert married Edith Violet Testót and had Constance (Connie), he died on 3rd April 1916 and he served with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1st/7th Battalion. I want to find his medals or get replacements but I can’t find his index card so I’m unsure what medals he had. If anyone could give me some advice or help I would be most grateful. 

Owen

Thanks Jay, do you know anywhere I could look for his medals.

Owen

You could try the British Medal Forum here. It’s also worth starting a new thread here on this forum, there are several knowledgeable members who are always happy to help.

Thanks Jay 

3 hours ago, OwenMartin said:

Robert William Webster, he was born in 1889 in London but lived in Coventry. Robert married Edith Violet Testót and had Constance (Connie), he died on 3rd April 1916 and he served with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1st/7th Battalion. I want to find his medals or get replacements but I can’t find his index card so I’m unsure what medals he had. If anyone could give me some advice or help I would be most grateful. 

From WFA/Fold3 You may be interested to know that his widow made a pension claim

257197301_WEBSTERRW2243.png.08f7d02b65608d387f20d85b6add0b58.png

Image courtesy of WFA/Fold3

But as you can see this claim was somewhat amended by her remarrying a soldier called TERRY - so his medals could perhaps have gone that way to others on his side of his family.

Do you have any details on TERRY that might help give you/us a steer?

Good luck.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
addition

Hi there, 

I’ve been doing a lot of research on my Great Grandfather Robert William Webster born in 1889 he served with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, he was killed on 3rd April 1916 and I found out the he was awarded 1915 star, British War Medal and Victory Medal but I don’t know where to look for them as I would like to have them. I would appreciate any help or advice. 

thanks 

Owen

7 minutes ago, OwenMartin said:

Hi there, 

I’ve been doing a lot of research on my Great Grandfather Robert William Webster born in 1889 he served with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, he was killed on 3rd April 1916 and I found out the he was awarded 1915 star, British War Medal and Victory Medal but I don’t know where to look for them as I would like to have them. I would appreciate any help or advice. 

thanks 

Owen

There's no guarantee they still exist - many medals have been destroyed over the years. Presumably you've asked relatives ?

You can try asking on the British Medal Forum to see if any collectors have them - https://britishmedalforum.com/

Craig

54 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

You could try the British Medal Forum here. It’s also worth starting a new thread here on this forum,

Owen,

They have a particular sub-forum especially for your purpose = Seeking Family Medals

Hi Matlock, 

Terry was Edith’s second husband I can’t remember his surname but I believe she married a few times after him but never had any other kids 

thanks 
Owen

4 minutes ago, OwenMartin said:

Hi Matlock, 

Terry was Edith’s second husband I can’t remember his surname but I believe she married a few times after him but never had any other kids 

thanks 
Owen

Humphrey Terry

Craig

Hi Craig, my Pops Roberts Grandson thought that Roberts wife most likely sold them 

Owen 

I believe he died in December 48 and she married again 

Owen

14 minutes ago, OwenMartin said:

Terry was Edith’s second husband I can’t remember his surname

From the PIC - TERRY does look more like a surname rather than a forename [rather inconveniently the MoP haven't put his military details in the remarks box! = Curses!!]

Does anyone know where to get good replicas and have them engraved because I had a a look one place and it was rather expensive

Owen 

• Admin

Duplicate posts merged to avoid repetition of answers and information.

10 hours ago, OwenMartin said:

Does anyone know where to get good replicas and have them engraved because I had a a look one place and it was rather expensive

Worcestershire Medal Service make copies of WWI medals and can mark them with recipient details. I believe they currently hold the contract for supplying medals to the MoD:

https://www.worcmedals.com/full-size-medals-and-emblems/campaign-medals/1st-world-war

Thanks I’ll have a look on that website 

thanks 

Owen 

Just to let everyone know I have ordered replacement medals 

And thank you all for the help and information 

Owen

• 7 months later...
  • Admin

Duplicate questions merged (again) 

• 1 month later...

I can't help with the medals, unfortunately, but I can give you a bit more information about his wife.  She re-married, her second husband was Humphrey Terry, and they had 4 children together - one of whom was my grandmother.