Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Double award of D.C.M.

JMB1943

I need some instruction in the niceties of formal Army nomenclature.

As described below, Sgt. Trevor was awarded the DCM on two separate occasions.

Is this written formally as "DCM and Bar" or "DCM and bar"?

G/1192 Sjt. A. W. Trevor, M.M., 7th Bn., R. Suss. R. (Portslade). For conspicuous gallantry and fine leadership. He commanded a platoon in the leading wave of the attack and cleared up a pocket of the enemy who were delaying troops on his right, and captured two machine guns and several prisoners. Later, he again led his platoon with the greatest courage, advancing over some three hundred yards of exposed ground under heavy machine-gun fire, and gained his objective.

G./1192 Sjt. A. W. Trevor, D.C.M., M.M. 7th Bn., R. Suss. R. (Portslade). For conspicuous gallantry near Meaulte on 22nd August, 1918. At the first objective he showed great initiative in clearing up dugouts in which the enemy had collected, doing it all single-handed. On reaching the final objective, seeing a party of the enemy on his flank, he went off by himself and returned with one officer and fourteen other rank prisoners. From the commencement of operations his courage and devotion to duty has continually been brought to notice. ' (D.C.M. gazetted 5th December, 1918.)

A walking example of 'fortune favours the brave', because he survived to be discharged to Class Z.

Regards,

JMB

12 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Is this written formally as "DCM and Bar" or "DCM and bar"?

In other write ups it appears to be '...and Bar'.

Alan & Pete,

Thanks for the input—will prevent me from embarrassing myself.

Regards,

JMB