Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Channel 5 programme

stripeyman

On Friday night there was a programme about the Sopwith Camel. Bits of it was OK but not all, in fact too much noise and generally not so good.

On 13/06/2022 at 01:33, doyle3 said:

switched off after < 5mins.

Dire.

We recorded it and managed to sit through the whole thing. Poor. Very poor.

Surprised to see Sir Max Hastings slumming it. The cost of living crisis must be starting to bite.

One of the tabloids used to have (may be still does) a strip cartoon called "Beau Peep" about a soldier in the Foreign Legion. The camel in that was called Sopwith.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/06/2022 at 10:33, jonbem said:

One of the tabloids

Sopwith Tabloid? :-)

I've only just caught up with this and yes, dreadful. Rob Bell is quite good, Roger 'Dodge' Bailey is excellent (espec on a programme on the Bleriot XI where they gave him the time to speak).

Prof Kate Williams is surely excellent in her field ... but ‘If it wasn’t for the Camel would we have won World War one? I’m not sure.’ Perhaps this was not rhetorical, perhaps she just doesn't know. I really don't know what she means here:

‘If it wasn’t for the Camel, we wouldn’t have the Spitfire, we wouldn’t have any of the jets we have.’

Edited by Open Bolt

On 06/07/2022 at 12:12, Open Bolt said:

Prof Kate Williams is surely excellent in her field ...

Possibly, but which field is that? Her TV persona isn't great: she sits hunched forward and very defensive, almost as if she isn't quite sure what she's talking about. Oh ... silly me. Of course.

As for the programme, we tried the Spitfire one but turned off before the first set of adverts. Too much hyperbole isn't good for old chaps like me. Rob Bell should stick to what he knows: the architecture of engineering. Military aviation history is not his forte.

17 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Possibly, but which field is that?

Ohh I should think expertise on Emma Hamilton easily qualifies for this programme. Kris Hendrix works at the RAF Museum but his youtube content is almost as cringeworthy.

I agree, the Spitfire episode was unwatchable (well, watchable perhaps but with the sound off I suppose).

https://www.channel5.com/show/british-planes-that-won-the-war-with-rob-bell 

Kate Williams is to be respected but like Dan Snow, she is not an expert in every facet of history (even if TV decision makers want to make you think she is).  She reminds me of a benevolent Pre-Raphaelite spider.

I must ask. In which field of history is Dan Snow an expert?

24 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I must ask. In which field of history is Dan Snow an expert?

Any period he's paid to talk about.

6 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

In which field of history is Dan Snow an expert?

I couldn't say, but at least Lloyd-George knew his great-grandfather.

Acknown