Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Passport not stamped leaving France

Christina Holstein

Has anyone had a problem with this? I didn't notice that my passport wasn't stamped by customs at Calais when I left last November. I fear this will give me a problem on my next visit.

Has this happened to any Forumites?

Christina

Thank you. It's a bit different from what I managed to find on an immigration law site this morning but I still have the last ticket, so I'll hope it's ok. 

Christina

very interesting, we will be looking for another house in the near future, last time over post Brexit was to sell , a one night stay. Before that 5 or 6 times a year. 

the advantage for us hopefully is, being frequent travellers on eurotunnel our account is still open so trips can be checked

• 1 year later...

My response about a Carte de Sejour was pertinent to the question. As was the Brexit reference. It's not "politics" its why I've spent the last 5 years of my life here in France rather than in Wales. I think you should restore my original posting with an apology.

The post was hidden.

A discussion about Brexit is political, and not something for this thread.

Craig

For a person living in France - a Carte de Sejour is a necessity, Pre Brexit it was un-necessary, Brexit made a CdJ an absolute necessity for me to live in France, This is not a political thing, It's a daily need for my life. I had to choose - remain in Brexit Britain, or live in  my property in the EU. This also seriously affects  people with secondary homes in France who didn't choose a CdS ,andwho did not live here permanently; but chose then to come and go according to the EU's third world definition,. Is the OP a French resident or not? Otherwise you cannot come and go as we once did. This is not politics - it,s a fact, Brexit happened in 2016 and is a fact. Not politics, If you have property in France - Brexit was the wrong thing to do. Fact, Not politics, It happened - live with it but for me it was completely wrong. I still expect an apology for removing my first post.

11 hours ago, geraint said:

For a person living in France - a Carte de Sejour is a necessity, Pre Brexit it was un-necessary, Brexit made a CdJ an absolute necessity for me to live in France, This is not a political thing, It's a daily need for my life. I had to choose - remain in Brexit Britain, or live in  my property in the EU. This also seriously affects  people with secondary homes in France who didn't choose a CdS ,andwho did not live here permanently; but chose then to come and go according to the EU's third world definition,. Is the OP a French resident or not? Otherwise you cannot come and go as we once did. This is not politics - it,s a fact, Brexit happened in 2016 and is a fact. Not politics, If you have property in France - Brexit was the wrong thing to do. Fact, Not politics, It happened - live with it but for me it was completely wrong. I still expect an apology for removing my first post.

Fortunately, all this doesn't affect me - I took Luxembourg nationality many years ago - but it does severely affect many thousands if not tens of thousands of people.

On 10/06/2022 at 20:09, chaz said:

very interesting, we will be looking for another house in the near future, last time over post Brexit was to sell , a one night stay. Before that 5 or 6 times a year. 

the advantage for us hopefully is, being frequent travellers on eurotunnel our account is still open so trips can be checked

Sorry Craig.

not political at all... dosnt affect you as you dont have a house there or had one. As post previously, 

We are back next week, first time since covid BUT will not be looking for another house due to Macrons habitation/foncieres taxing. would be interesting to know of opinions/views of others there , should we then decide that with 18months left to work we did decide to buy again. Subject to French politics and decisions. As far as I know (Im not in charge of paperwork) presumably our passports have not been stamped for many trips.

On 12/07/2023 at 15:40, chaz said:

habitation/foncieres taxing

Not sure what you mean here chaz.  It's no different than previously for second homes as far as I can tell - you continue to pay both.  I guess it's the other side of the coin where non-nationals are not entitled to some benefits.  Also some French nationals continue to pay the taxe d'habitation.  We had terrible trouble trying to pay ours!  Still unable to pay monthly - one official said monthly was OK, another said not possible even though we pay the taxe fonciere that way so we've given up.  At least they should now bill us and we will just pay it.  The 90 day in 180 days restriction is the pain (dog passports seem to work OK now, even though it is stii inequitable - not required for foreigners coming to the UK with their dog).  Have a spreadsheet to work out how close I get to the limit and plan trips accordingly.  I suppose I could always obtain a visa.

Anyway, it's 14 July so meeting up shortly at the monument outside our house then to the salle des fetes followed by a game of boules, weather permitting (intermittent showers).

Reg

2 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Anyway, it's 14 July so meeting up shortly at the monument outside our house then to the salle des fetes followed by a game of boules, weather permitting (intermittent showers).

Don't forget to take some Bourbons.

6 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Not sure what you mean here chaz.  It's no different than previously for second homes as far as I can tell - you continue to pay both.  I guess it's the other side of the coin where non-nationals are not entitled to some benefits.  Also some French nationals continue to pay the taxe d'habitation.  We had terrible trouble trying to pay ours!  Still unable to pay monthly - one official said monthly was OK, another said not possible even though we pay the taxe fonciere that way so we've given up.  At least they should now bill us and we will just pay it.  The 90 day in 180 days restriction is the pain (dog passports seem to work OK now, even though it is stii inequitable - not required for foreigners coming to the UK with their dog).  Have a spreadsheet to work out how close I get to the limit and plan trips accordingly.  I suppose I could always obtain a visa.

Reg

Don't understand the 'not possible'. We've been paying monthly by debit for the last 25 years.

3 hours ago, healdav said:

Don't understand the 'not possible'. We've been paying monthly by debit for the last 25 years.

Neither do I.  The first person we spoke to even gave us a form to complete to begin paying by monthly direct debit after we had paid the "first" year's bill in full when we received the bill.  It wasn't the first year but that's another story.  Having paid the "first" year in full we then went to establish the monthly payments going forward and the second guy wouldn't accept it and said we couldn't pay monthly.  This contrasts markedly with the treatment of the taxe fonciere which is paid monthly, using the same fiscal reference number.  I couldn't be bothered arguing any further so will just pay it when it is due.

Anyway, it turned out pretty hot today and we finished third in the boules - best finish to date and a couple of bottles of wine better off now.

7 hours ago, sassenach said:

Don't forget to take some Bourbons.

I thought they were finally overthrown in France the 1830 revolution but may still exist in Spain and Luxembourg

50 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

I thought they were finally overthrown in France the 1830 revolution but may still exist in Spain and Luxembourg

Weren't they the Hapsbourgs? Chin chin.

1 minute ago, geraint said:

Weren't they the Hapsbourgs? Chin chin.

Quite possibly!  It's more years than I care to think about since I studied that period for "A" level.

13 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

Quite possibly!  It's more years than I care to think about since I studied that period for "A" level.

Oh God - don't remind me. Did my A level history in 1973, Both A 1 period Britain was 1718- 1914 and A2 period Europe were circa 1780 to 1918. I loved it! 

Metternich and the Congress of Vienna! Walpole's "broad bottomed government" and the South Sea Bubble. NOTHING in history has changed. Walpole could be B Johnson and Metternich could be Putin. South Sea Bubble = banks fraud 2008 and after. Quell difference? Ehh? Ba oui! Vive le revolution!

Edited by geraint

12 hours ago, geraint said:

Oh God - don't remind me. Did my A level history in 1973, Both A 1 period Britain was 1718- 1914 and A2 period Europe were circa 1780 to 1918. I loved it! 

Metternich and the Congress of Vienna! Walpole's "broad bottomed government" and the South Sea Bubble. NOTHING in history has changed. Walpole could be B Johnson and Metternich could be Putin. South Sea Bubble = banks fraud 2008 and after. Quell difference? Ehh? Ba oui! Vive le revolution!

Sounds like the same period I studied for the exam in 1968, though I thought we started around 1832.  In those days, history apparently finished around WW1, although I did what was called a "Special" (S level) paper where history did continue into the 1930s.

Yes, not much has changed.