Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5885 Pte. Charles William Martin Batten, 4th Royal Fusiliers, Casualty Record

Richard Stiles

I am attempting to research 5885 Pte. Charles William Martin Batten, 4th R. Fus who first deployed to France 27/12/1914. 

Charles was evacuated back to the UK at some point, either sick or wounded, and subsequently, upon recovery, posted to 6th (Reserve) Bn, R. Fus from whence, on 30/6/1917 he was one of c. 85 members of that battalion to be transferred to the Labour Corps per ACI 337/17. Labour Corps serial number = 275697.

Unfortunately his service and / or pension files have not survived and I can find no potential date of incident or evacuation on either Ancestry or Forces War Records.

Would it be possible for any fellow members with access to other data bases to see if any pertinent information can be discovered please.

Kind regards to all, Richard

index.jpg

6 hours ago, Richard Stiles said:

/ or pension files have not survived

Courtesy of Fold 3 he does have one Pension Card. You will need more knowledgeable people to get information from it though!

image.jpeg.7f1ffdadd8b7990af72fb0b1cfc5f99e.jpeg

George

You may have this. Ancestry have his railway employment record

UK, Railway Employment Records, 1833-1956 for Wm Chas Martin Batten

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/1856098:1728

which gives volunteer date and return. It also has him as a 'disabled ex-serviceman'

George

Thank you George for sending these items to me. The Pension Card states, I believe, that Charles was granted a pension by the Ministry of Pensions at a rate of 5s 6d a week on 7/1/1919 back dated to 28/11/1918 to run until 2/12/1919. He would normally have been medically boarded a month or two before expiration date with a view to determining whether or not said pension should be extended. The railway information is very helpful. Thank you.

Still seeking a date of evacuation somehow so as that I know when to stop taking notes from the war diary................

2 hours ago, George Rayner said:

image.jpeg.7f1ffdadd8b7990af72fb0b1cfc5f99e.jpeg

This card is for a disability pension claim. 

The 27.11.18 would appear to be his date of discharge [the usual interpretation] but this does differ from the MIC annotation.  I was wondering about a possible earlier transfer to the Army Z Reserve [pension and ZR not being mutually exclusive] but to my eye it looks like a Chelsea Hospital reference and I can't see a Z reference ??

The 5/6 pw from 28.11.18 to 2.12.19 is a rate indicative of a 20% disablement for a Private.

M

Yes, I noticed that anomaly. With his railway background was wondering if the period from 27/11/18 to 10/3/1919 was spent on the Class 'P' Reserve. His London and South Western Railway record of service states that he resumed service as a disabled ex serviceman on 9/12/1918 and on 12/12/1918 was appointed a Porter at Southfields Station thus I think the Class 'P' notion may well fit. With a 20% disability I would have expected to see a SWB but can find no trace in the SWB collection.

I believe Find My Past has a casualty return collection based on the weekly returns published in the London Time? If so, I am hoping one of our members might be kind enough to check if he is listed therein....

Best wishes,

Richard

2 hours ago, Richard Stiles said:

Yes, I noticed that anomaly. With his railway background was wondering if the period from 27/11/18 to 10/3/1919 was spent on the Class 'P' Reserve. His London and South Western Railway record of service states that he resumed service as a disabled ex serviceman on 9/12/1918 and on 12/12/1918 was appointed a Porter at Southfields Station thus I think the Class 'P' notion may well fit. With a 20% disability I would have expected to see a SWB but can find no trace in the SWB collection.

Coincidental that you should be thinking about a P Reserve - I too was later also thinking along those lines = ???

M

2 hours ago, Richard Stiles said:

I believe Find My Past has a casualty return collection based on the weekly returns published in the London Time? If so, I am hoping one of our members might be kind enough to check if he is listed therein....

Have checked on Find My Past --- sorry, only record coming up on either service number or his name is his medal award.