Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC REMARKS.

steve140968

post-4531-1111608845.jpg :blink: Can anyone more knowledgable than myself explain what the comments / figures say and mean in the remarks box of my grandfathers MIC above , many thanks .

Steve .

Steve,

He was Private G/17771 in the Midlesex Regiment. He was awarded the British War and Victory Medals (roll number recorded) meaning he entered the war after 01/01/1916. He was awarded the Silver War Badge (roll number recorded) meaning that he was discharged due to wounds, injury or illness. His medals are recorded as issued. You should be able to get more information from the Medal and SWB Rolls.

Rgds

Tim D

The meaning of the "NW" remark is obscure. You see them quite often. Presumably they are a Medals Office referral to despatch or the like.

The meaning of the "NW" remark is obscure. You see them quite often. Presumably they are a Medals Office referral to despatch or the like.

:) Thanks Tim and Chris , i have copies of the relevant rolls and the same numbers/letters appear under the column heading of 'record of disposal of decorations'. Any idea as to what the wording above means ( maybe just a signature )? Tim when you say 'entered the war ' after 01/01/1916 do you mean entered a theatre of war after this date as he enlisted on the 11/08/1915 ?

Many thanks ,

Steve .

Hi Steve,

The word above NW is 'Issued'.

Yes, I would think he meant entered a theatre of war. This relates to an earlier thread that I posted enquiring about the length of training and how that changed as the war progressed. Unsurprisingly, the length of initial training seemed to get shorter as men were needed more urgently towards the end of the war, especially Spring 1918.

Cheers,

Stuart

Spot on...saw active service...entered a theatre of war.

TD

:) Many thanks guys ,

Steve .