Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tallaght Aerodrome Talk on Zoom : 14th June 2022

doyle3

Looking forward to it. (Have registered but am likely to be logging in on the mobile, on the commute home from work).

As something of a sideshow I've been noting the names of WRAF personnel in the various Irish bases as I've encountered them. (Just a handful for Aldergrove or Fermoy but overall there are far more than I 'd expected. For example I've over 40 for Marrowbone Lane. Even 55th Wing HQ at Saggart has ten WRAF).

Notwithstanding the movement around the various locations, for Tallaght I've the following 39 women identified. (See attached). 

In that regard I'd be curious to hear of the profile of the aircrew and groundcrew in the early days of Tallaght aerodrome.

WRAF Tallaght example.csv

Wow. Saggart is nearby so I would be interested in hearing more.

To manage expectations,  the talk is aimed at locals who are still unaware the aerodrome existed. There will be hopefully new info for those with a more in-depth interest. 

I have a few Tallaght WRAF names. I'll need to dig them out.

Dave

54 minutes ago, Airshipped said:

Looking forward to it. (Have registered but am likely to be logging in on the mobile, on the commute home from work).

As something of a sideshow I've been noting the names of WRAF personnel in the various Irish bases as I've encountered them. (Just a handful for Aldergrove or Fermoy but overall there are far more than I 'd expected. For example I've over 40 for Marrowbone Lane. Even 55th Wing HQ at Saggart has ten WRAF).

Notwithstanding the movement around the various locations, for Tallaght I've the following 39 women identified. (See attached). 

In that regard I'd be curious to hear of the profile of the aircrew and groundcrew in the early days of Tallaght aerodrome.

WRAF Tallaght example.csv 7.88 kB · 1 download

That is an impressive spreadsheet!

4 hours ago, Airshipped said:

WRAF Tallaght example.csv 7.88 kB · 2 downloads

Very nice work there.

Some pre-session reading from a previous post from Dave :-)

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/255093-late-war-rfcraf-aerodrome-plans-tallaght/

A good session there @depaor01Well done.

Some of my ramblings re Katherine Tynan and the Property Losses link to Nora Tynan/Airfield House in Tallaght

http://johnny-doyle.blogspot.com/2014/04/katharine-tynan-and-aerodrome.html

1912 map snippet with Airfield House in situ before the RFC arrived.

An overlap with @corisandework on Patrick Dunney,  his wife's address is Airfield House, Tallaght on his service record.

https://www.cairogang.com/soldiers-killed/dunny/dunny.html

Re Sholto Douglas and Shephard, this is the WFA article I mentioned

https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/world-war-i-articles/who-was-gordon-shephard-died-19-january-1918/

TynanTallaght.jpg.9df574db954a73a33c653c3c5419e334.jpg169070509_tallaghtmap19111912.jpg.0e3292b8732453e0f09b8ff7e0c8fdee.jpg

DunneyAirfieldHouse.png

Edited by doyle3
edited 2 typos nora and artilce :-(

One of the Dunney marriage witnesses is Finbarr O'Mahony, I think one of Nora Tynan O'Mahony's sons.

Donney in the Irish records online

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1918/09720/5526750.pdf

I thought there was a podcast re Gordon Shephard but realise it was a recording from Dublin WFA

https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/play/jLgDUsAIeD9Mb8-QqW0EjMm_hsvPCL9lJhUMdqWAtPRRLkD-xELk432DuJXKeu-mVXWn_d9zhmoAMGoB.4oEPca5JGP0Rj8TG?continueMode=true&_x_zm_rtaid=xOv2XRx0Rr6BNsnm0TevcA.1655228410787.fc882f78ec375c75f7e1a6346bb18a06&_x_zm_rhtaid=184

Thanks for the kind words @doyle3 and very helpful input both during the talk and above.

I'll digest those contributions (ramblings??!) with interest. Some very enthusiastic attendees!

Dave

I think a notice had gone around the ' Flying in Ireland ' site, so perhaps that brought out a slightly different cohort than the military history buffs of these parts?

Good to see plenty of questions: had there not been the 'closing time' announcement in the background you might have had to stay the night.

Well done! 

54 minutes ago, Airshipped said:

I think a notice had gone around the ' Flying in Ireland ' site, so perhaps that brought out a slightly different cohort than the military history buffs of these parts?

Good to see plenty of questions: had there not been the 'closing time' announcement in the background you might have had to stay the night.

Well done! 

:lol: Brilliant! Really appreciate that.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Made it over to Dublin for the first time in a while to visit the Military Archives and National Archives.

National Archives has a couple of files re "Tallagh" aerodrome and camp. One file with approx 50 technical drawings of the site, building etc which may be of interest.

Sadly, no details about the land purchase which was what I was looking for.

Johnny

IMG_6440.jpg

IMG_6355.PNG

Johnny, given the references you have, would it be possible to use these to check the Property Registration Authority site for the details re title? 

As far as I can recall, the Registry of Deeds and Land Registry came under the same entity in recent years, though much of the legal title to lands in Ireland remains unregistered. 

Not to send you down the rabbit burrows of Irish conveyancing law but there's the prospect of seeing previous owners in respect of the relevant folios.

16 minutes ago, Airshipped said:

Johnny, given the references you have, would it be possible to use these to check the Property Registration Authority site for the details re title? 

As far as I can recall, the Registry of Deeds and Land Registry came under the same entity in recent years, though much of the legal title to lands in Ireland remains unregistered. 

Not to send you down the rabbit burrows of Irish conveyancing law but there's the prospect of seeing previous owners in respect of the relevant folios.

Not a bad idea @Airshipped. Thanks.  I'll look into this for my next trip over.

Johnny