Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Samuel Henry Hunt 6244 2Bn KRRC

Rammer

Hi Can anyone assist please

I have seen conflicting evidence of my Grandfather and was wondering if anyone can tie down the place where his death actually occurred

He died of his wounds 14/9/1914 The place given is Troyon

Yet he is on the memorial at Le Ferte Sous Jouarre 

My Question is now was he injured at Troyon or Le Ferte Sous Jouarre  at a previous date and died of his wounds on the 14/9/1914

Did he take place in a battle at Troyon if so where would I find any Data on this please

Kind Regards

Rammer 

• Admin

The memorial at La Ferte is to commemorate those who died Mons, Marne Aisne 1914 and have no known  grave. 14th September is consistent with the action around Troyon. You can find out what was going on by reading the war diaries, free to download after you register on the National Archives Website. He is highly unlikely to be mentioned by name though. 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14052713

• Admin

He may be buried under an unknown headstone in Vendresse Cemetery. View shows the cemetery looking towards  Troyon (now a couple of houses and the old village cemetery )

F619D1DE-33F4-4559-86B1-5909D549908C.jpeg

• Admin

The actions around La Ferte Sous Jouarre took place on 10th September. Without reading the war diaries, I can’t tell you whether the 2KRRC were at La Ferte. It’s a good  few miles between Troyon and La Ferte, so I’d reckon he was wounded and died at Troyon, and his grave subsequently lost. 

• 1 year later...

Thank you all for the replies

I will be laying a wreath at Vendresse this year 2023

If anyone would like a photo of any headstone please let me know