Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Newman Robin Hoods 1133 later 265308 later joined royal engineers field survey

Tom

• Tom changed the title to William Newman Robin Hoods 1133 later 265308 later joined royal engineers field survey

This link to Long Long trail is interesting about Field Survey units...

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-corps-of-royal-engineers-in-the-first-world-war/the-field-survey-companies-of-the-royal-engineers/

Edited by Mick M

Can you provide some biographical detail: e.g year of birth, where he was from etc.

Edited by Mark1959

2 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

Can you provide some biographical detail: e.g year of birth, where he was from etc.

Born in Nottingham 1891

I think the title here is confusing. The regiment is the Notts and Derbys aka Sherwood Foresters. Another number for him is 487905. The man is William Newman

Medal card indicates went to France 26 Feb 1915. Disembodied (discharged) 23 Feb 1919.

Edited by Mark1959

He first went overseas on 26th February 1915 as a L/Cpl 1133 with 1/7th Notts and Derby Rgt, he was still serving with them as a Sgt during the early months of 1917 when the TF underwent a number change and he became 263038. At some point after this number change he was posted to 1st North Midland Field Coy RE as Sgt 487905. This transfer may have been due to an earlier wounding. He was demobilised on 23rd February 1919

5 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

I think the title here is confusing. The regiment is the Notts and Derbys aka Sherwood Foresters. 

They were the Robin Hood Battalion 

5 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

He first went overseas on 26th February 1915 as a L/Cpl 1133 with 1/7th Notts and Derby Rgt, he was still serving with them as a Sgt during the early months of 1917 when the TF underwent a number change and he became 263038. At some point after this number change he was posted to 1st North Midland Field Coy RE as Sgt 487905. This transfer may have been due to an earlier wounding. He was demobilised on 23rd February 1919

They were the Robin Hood Battalion 

Thank you so much thats more information I have seen for a while, the robin hoods was a nickname given too the 1/7th I think

Edited by Tom

He was a pre-war Territorial. He received the Territorial Efficiency Medal in Oct 1919. 

3 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

He was a pre-war Territorial. He received the Territorial Efficiency Medal in Oct 1919. 

Yeah I think he went over the top on the 1st day of the Somme and later did alot of nights obvs and trench mapping 

Edited by Tom

The 1/7 were at Foncquevillers (about 15-20 km SSW of Arras) on the first day of the Somme and attacked at 7.30am.

I suggest you read the 1/7th War diary 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354519

Free if you create a free account. The attack on 1/7/16 is covered from p132. The rest will be of interest as to where they were etc from landing in France in Feb 1915. We do not know when he left the unit and joined the RE. 

edit: There is a sobering calculation of casualties - killed, wounding and missing - on p135. Most of the officers were casualties + 424 other ranks. 

Edited by Mark1959

17 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

The 1/7 were at Foncquevillers (about 15-20 km SSW of Arras) on the first day of the Somme and attacked at 7.30am.

I suggest you read the 1/7th War diary 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354519

Free if you create a free account. The attack on 1/7/16 is covered from p132. The rest will be of interest as to where they were etc from landing in France in Feb 1915. We do not know when he left the unit and joined the RE. 

edit: There is a sobering calculation of casualties - killed, wounding and missing - on p135. Most of the officers were casualties + 424 other ranks. 

Thanks Mark I will try and have a read,  I read alot about the regiment in a book about the Robin Hoods,  he also could have not attacked and been out previous repairing and cutting wire 

I think  that he was transferred to the RE under AO204/1916 (compulsory transfers). His work with a Field Survey Company would have probably have  been that of an observer with a Flash Spotting and Sound Ranging Section.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

22 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

I think  that he was transferred to the RE under AO204/1916 (compulsory transfers)

That may appear to be the case.

A look at the medal rolls for similar numbers reveals a block of numbers 487901 to 487967 were issued to Notts & Derby soldiers from 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th battalions whilst the number block 487853 to 467900 were issued to soldiers from Derbyshire Yeomanry, Nottinghamshire Yeomanry and South Nottinghamshire Hussars. There are numbers missing from both sequences and a look at MICs reveals these men were later transferred to RE Inland Waterway and Railway companies.

A pension record exists for Sapper 487932 Howard Ingram - enlisted into 3/5th Bn Notts & Derby on 18th February 1915 and sent overseas in the 8th draft on 2nd March 1916 and joined his unit (presumably 1/5th Bn) on 10th April 1916. He was assigned his new TF number prior to proceeding to Abberville on 23rd March 1917 to report to the ? Signal Officer with a view to transfer to RE if suitable. He was posted to 'D' Signal Bn of 1st North Midland Field Company, RE on 13th July 1917 and assigned the new number 487932.

I suspect William Newman's transfer to the RE took a very similar route and time frame to that outlined above for Howard Ingram, they may appear to have joined the 1st NMFC, via an RE reinforcement company as noted in the unit war diary.