Jump to content
Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Herbert Riley 11124 Manchester Regiment


Wxmnorm

Recommended Posts

Does anybody know if there is a way of checking if Private Herbert Riley 11124 served in the 18th service battalion Manchester Regiment. There is a 14-15 star in the family possession so we assume they went out to active service in 1915. Thank you in advance. 

Mark 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He was in the 18th Btn, E Company, 18th  Platoon

 

Source : Manchester City Battalions

 

Peter

PS I will find his Platoon photo for you 

Edited by Peter Beckett
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is the photo and list. The individual men are not named so if you have a photo you will be able to identify him

 

Peter

18btn E coy 18 platoon list.jpg

18btn E coy 18 platoon photo.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Grandfather, William Leyland was in the 22nd Battalion, hence my 7th City Pals shoulder title avatar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Peter Beckett said:

Here is the photo and list. The individual men are not named so if you have a photo you will be able to identify him

 

Peter

18btn E coy 18 platoon list.jpg

18btn E coy 18 platoon photo.jpg

Peter, 

Thank you for this, much appreciated. 

Regards 

Mark 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Mark

Just in case you didn't know it, here is his prisoner of war card (helpfully filed under Rimmer):-

file front side

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/2233876/3/2/

(image courtesy of the ICRC)

Here you get some extra detail. Plus if you follow the link  put in the PA numbers to see where he was taken and sent etc

Kind Regards

Derek

Edited by Swinesheadvillage
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 21/3/1918 date quoted on his POW record is the start of the German Spring Offensive and indicates date of capture. Looks as if captured at St Quentin.  Also shows he was attached to 90 Trench Mortar Battery at the time.  He appears on a War Office list of returned POWs on 7/1/19. So will have come back to UK in the days leading up to that date

Medal rolls and card indicat overseas service with the 16th as well. Card gives date entered France as 18/11/15 and hence the Star.

Edited by Mark1959
Link to comment
Share on other sites

90 TMB was part of 90th Brigade (30th Division) of which 16th and 18th Manchesters were also a part. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Swinesheadvillage said:

Hi Mark

Just in case you didn't know it, here is his prisoner of war card (helpfully filed under Rimmer):-

file front side

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/2233876/3/2/

(image courtesy of the ICRC)

Here you get some extra detail. Plus if you follow the link  put in the PA numbers to see where he was taken and sent etc

Kind Regards

Derek

Thank you Derek, we did not know of him being a prisoner of war. 

Regards 

Mark 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

The 21/3/1918 date quoted on his POW record is the start of the German Spring Offensive and indicates date of capture. Looks as if captured at St Quentin.  Also shows he was attached to 90 Trench Mortar Battery at the time.  He appears on a War Office list of returned POWs on 7/1/19. So will have come back to UK in the days leading up to that date

Medal rolls and card indicat overseas service with the 16th as well. Card gives date entered France as 18/11/15 and hence the Star.

Thank you for this Mark. 

Regards 

Mark 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...