Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Diprose

Michelle barton

Hi there I’m new to this site and would very much appreciate any information on my great great uncle John diprose who was also with this group of brave souls mrs m barton many thanks to you 

Welcome Michelle,

Bombardier 37553. A original battery member that went out to the western front 05.03.1915. Unfortunately Died of wounds from effects of a stray shell 11.12.17. Took part in the Battles of Neuve Chapelle; Aubers Ridge; Festubert; Loos; Vimy Ridge; Beaumont Hamel; Arras and Paaschendaale.

Regards Paul

P.S. Do you have any images oh either him or the battery?

A stray shell on December 11th hit a dug-out killing Sgt Button and Gunner McNamara and mortally wounding Bdr. Diprose and Gunner Bradley. Gnr Titt sustained shell shock. Position Frost House which they took over from 6 Canadian Sge Bty.

Rgds Paul 

Thankyou so much for the information you passed to me I’m sorry I don’t have any thing of my uncle John diprose unfortunately just his rank and number I will send you an image when I’m home for you to see thankyou for your time very much appreciated 

Aged 19 years and 5 months, John Diprose was recruited by Sgt Owen on 23th July 1912 at Kingston-on-Thames.  John may have been recruited into the RGA with a work colleague as is recorded in the Surrey Recruitment Register, the man above John was also a Gravel Pit Labourer, further documents show these 2 men had consecutive service numbers (Thomas Frederick Baker 37552 and John Diprose 37553), their attestment being accepted after a medical examination by Colonel Dowman on 25th July 1912, enlistment being completed on 27th July 1912. I can find no surviving service record for either man but suspect their training and initial posting may have been the same. Clearly John went out to France as an original member of 81st Siege Bty in March 1915 whilst Thomas Baker was eventually discharged as no longer physically fit (sickness) on 24th November 1914 from 65th Company RGA whilst stationed in Malta. 

John sadly died at No.2 Canadian Casualty Clearing Station at Lijssenthoek from wounds sustained as outlined above. The Soldiers Effects Register notes a War Gratuity payment of £20 and 10 shillings was paid to his mother Annie.

Thankyou so much for the information on John diprose my uncle I will have to dig out some information I do have and will send to you in the image when I home from being away thankyou so much for your time kind regards mrs m barton be intouch soon thankyou once again 

Hello sorry I’m new to this site I’m looking for more information on my great uncle John diprose is there anyone out there that could help please as I have no photos of this family member just his rank and number bless him and all that served in in war bless them all mrs m barton many thanks 

I've split this into its own post so that it doesn't get lost in the other thread.

Can you tell us what information you do have?

Craig

Both John Diprose and Thomas Baker were fully enlisted into the RGA at No.1 Depot Newhaven, which is where their consecutive service numbers were issued on 25th July 1912, it's here  their basic training was undertaken before being posted to a specific company. In the case of Thomas Baker, he was posted to No.2 Company at Sheerness on 3rd October 1912 before being posted overseas to No.65 Company in Malta on 14th March 1913, he remained here until invalided out during November 1914. With the prospect of John's service record lost in the 1940 Blitz and without further evidence it's impossible to say that John's military service took him on the same journey as that of Thomas Baker other than their initial time together at No.1 Depot in Newhaven. At present I do not know where nor which company formed 81st Siege Bty, this information may further illuminate John's service. There are 3 Pension Ledger Index cards for John, showing a pension of 4 shillings paid from 2nd July 1918, initially this payment was claimed by his father Ambrose and later changed to his mother Annie, sadly there is little further useful information on these cards other than the address of 13 Leyton Road.

1118086474_JohnDiprose81stSBRGALijssenthoek.jpg.346c38d66eb48f60ed696109e62fce16.jpg

4 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

I've split this into its own post so that it doesn't get lost in the other thread.

Can you tell us what information you do have?

Craig

There are several replies on the other thread which only relate to John Diprose... can they be merged here to avoid repetition?

One of these perhaps?

image.png.32697fc86febd47ba18174d68c417426.png

1 hour ago, jay dubaya said:

There are 3 Pension Ledger Index cards for John, showing a pension of 4 shillings paid from 2nd July 1918, initially this payment was claimed by his father Ambrose and later changed to his mother Annie, sadly there is little further useful information on these cards other than the address of 13 Leyton Road.

The pension cards show that whilst Ambrose DIPROSE initially got a dependant's pension of 4/- pw, Annie DIPROSE later got a pension of 5/- pw for life under Article 21 of the Royal Warrant.

The address is the same as on CWGC  https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/435216/john-diprose

Ambrose DIPROSE's age was given as 56 at the time of his claim and is shown as Deceased at the time of change to his wife.

M