Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Clarence Kendall 66423 KLR, medals awarded but no overseas service?

PaulC78

Just something I noticed while working on a non-com case... Pte Clarence Kendall 66423 KLR, attested on 10/02/1916 with no previous military service, mobilised on 16/02/1917, discharged on 11/06/1917 due to TB, died at home on 09/07/1917. According to the SWB roll and his surviving service papers he did not serve overseas, yet he was still awarded the British and Victory medals.

Would these medals have therefore been issued in error, and how common would such a mistake have been?

kendall.jpg.a2f0466812d4a22496deb338922e4ff8.jpg

I thought the SWB roll only showed enlistment and discharge dates? It is the 1914 or 15 star roll that showed date of entry to theatre? He has no star as he attested in 1916.

He had almost 4 months between mobilisation and discharge. Can you post the service dates section of his service record?

Edited by Ivor Anderson

The SWB does say Whether served Overseas - No.

Most of this sheet have no overseas service. I just checked two others and they both have a normal MIC just for the SWB but another has a second MIC similar to Kendall's, same roll, 12 pages before.

Neither medal roll has any indication of a problem except the oddity that neither SWB is mentioned unlike others on the same page.

Kendall's SWB roll badge number is written in a different hand to the rest of the sheet and the next. Same number sequence.

See - Cannon 64429

On face value so far it does look like the BWM & Vict were being sent out to men with no overseas service. At least to two close numbered men.

I wonder how many more received the pair and have a Service file?

TEW

Certainly seems that a clerical error has erroneously issued medals.

ck1.jpg.af494e8cc0f97fe7d0cfd1e5c6d8dd30.jpgck2.jpg.e6ed5e33742fdab87688c60e25ee9272.jpgck3.jpg.1f5c0606e158452ce0f4c2b6d0413b91.jpg

Edited by jay dubaya
almost a duplicate post to TEW

Ah, his WO364 has a medical report which says he reported ill in Boulogne while on Dock Work. Page 665.

TEW

Ah-ha, I'd missed that. So he earned his medals doing heavy dock work in Boulogne for a few weeks before he became ill, meaning that the service record is otherwise incorrect in saying that he did not serve overseas?

It's interesting because the same record office dealt with his SWB, Service Record and medal roll. Different offices or departments maybe and at different times.

The medical report is in a pension file and without going back over it all I suspect the KLR records didn't have that information.

Certainly a foul up with his statement of services only giving the home service dates and no embarkation or service shown for a war theatre.

Suspect the SWB was compiled by checking his record which shows no overseas service.

The medal roll shows no query at all, perhaps they started with embarkation rolls and didn't need to view his record.

I think the same may apply to others with close numbers.

TEW

On 25/05/2022 at 20:55, jay dubaya said:

Certainly seems that a clerical error has erroneously issued medals.

ck1.jpg.af494e8cc0f97fe7d0cfd1e5c6d8dd30.jpgck2.jpg.e6ed5e33742fdab87688c60e25ee9272.jpgck3.jpg.1f5c0606e158452ce0f4c2b6d0413b91.jpg

Is this a Derby Scheme enlistment or did the deferred service continue with conscription?

On 25/05/2022 at 21:00, TEW said:

Ah, his WO364 has a medical report which says he reported ill in Boulogne while on Dock Work. Page 665.

TEW

Good job that one of use read the pension report...

On 27/05/2022 at 00:28, Mick M said:

Is this a Derby Scheme enlistment or did the deferred service continue with conscription?

Have to admit I haven't looked at this but I suspect the latter.