Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver Cross information please

Wendy Birds

Would anyone know what the significance of this small silver cross? 

It was found alongside some medals belonging to family members. 

The dates noted are August 18th, November 29th and December 25th 1911.

Thanks in advance. 

Wendy Birds IMG_20220508_120031.jpg.9f8c69f3ee979f2dd41c7cff89994c9f.jpg

IMG_20220508_120022.jpg

26 minutes ago, Wendy Birds said:

Would anyone know what the significance of this small silver cross? 

Possibly/seems more likely to me to be a woman's [or just perhaps a man's] cross with dates of significance - met, engaged, married???

M

• Michelle Young changed the title to Silver Cross information please
1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

met, engaged, married???

Last date is Christmas Day, which seemed to deny a wedding, but I looked into it. FMP states: 'During the 18th and 19th centuries, getting married on Christmas Day itself was a popular tradition, with churches across the country holding festive nuptials every 25 December. .... However, couples who chose to opt for a Christmas Day wedding would have rarely done so out of a desire to capture a sense of seasonal romance. Christmas Day weddings usually occurred out of necessity as Christmas and Boxing Day were often the only days of the year that young working-class couples were guaranteed to get off work.' 

Acknown

5 minutes ago, Acknown said:

Christmas Day weddings usually occurred out of necessity as Christmas and Boxing Day were often the only days of the year that young working-class couples were guaranteed to get off work.

Who said romance was dead?

M

So could be proposal date, first reading of the banns and marriage - this in a day when a proposal was a contractual obligation to marry so in theory not something to be done lightly. The proof of course will come from working backwards - is there any likely person in the family who married on the 25th December 1911.

If so, did they marry in church?
(No church, no banns).

Cheers,
Peter

From our family history there are several instances of Christmas Day weddings.  A few  of them were coal miners so I think that Acknown is correct. As far as I can remember they were all married in church.

Sue

On 23/05/2022 at 17:57, Acknown said:

Christmas and Boxing Day were often the only days of the year that young working-class couples were guaranteed to get off work.' 

Baptisms were also common on Christmas Day for the same reason.