Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ianjonesncl

Pals

I am looking at the early heavy artillery guns deployed to the Western Front and I have come across the 6 inch BL Howitzer Mk 1*. This equipment was used by 9 and 11 Seige Batteries who deployed to the Western Front in April 1915. [Ref: WO-95-5494 Allocation of Units]

image.png.24e6d270fb0116af061b7e0ced699fde.png

I can not find the 6 in BL Howitzer Mk 1* in either British Artillery Weapons & Ammunition 1914-1918 [Hogg and Thurston] or Osprey British Artillery 1914-19.

I was thinking it was probably an early version of the 6 inch BL Howitzer 26 cwt. Hogg and Thurston [page 126-127] has first delivery of the 26 cwt as May 1915, and introduced into service late 1915. That is consistent with the first reference I can see to a battery deploying with the 6in 26 cwt , 32 Siege Battery [Ref: WO-95-5494 Allocation of Units].

image.png.09880518e039460c293264de0edf3df2.png

The only thing I found on Google was from 6-inch Howitzer data sheet (tripod.com) which states "The 6-inch howitzer was one of the most successful guns of WW1, entering service in late 1914." That would be more consistent with the deployment of 9 and 11 SB.

Can anyone shed light on the 6" BL Howitzer Mark I ?

Ian

Try the 30 cwt variety, Boer war and early WW1.

The Wikipedia entry for this mentions the Mk. I* as a modification to chamber volume in its WW1 section.

Mentioned in Allied Artillery of World War One by Ian V. Hogg  Crowood Press paperback edition 2004 ISBN 1 86126 712 6

6" 30 cwt Howitzer Mk.1 on p.67 & 71 states that, " Diligent study of the records has, however, failed to indicate whether this system was ever employed in France."

See the original post. Unless the excerpt from WO95/5494 is wrong, it is clear that it was indeed employed in France.

Ron

There was no Mk I* of the 26 cwt 6" howitzer during WW1 but there was certainly a Mk I* of the earlier 30 cwt howitzer which was the only 6" howitzer available until 1915 when the 26 cwt version was introduced. As said, teh Mk I* had an enlarged chamber and a reduced length of rifling. The Mk I* was adopted well before the start of WW1.

13 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

See the original post. Unless the excerpt from WO95/5494 is wrong, it is clear that it was indeed employed in France.

Ron

Only quoting the book by Ian V. Hogg - which apparently differs from that mentioned in the OP.

Edited by squirrel

Many thanks to everyone for the information.

It would seem indicate that the entry in WO-95-5494 Allocation of Units does refer to a  the 6 inch 30 cwt howitzer which has a modified chamber.

Ian