Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

familyhistoryman

I am researching Robert Chadwick 1/4th East Lancashire Regiment 200673 who was taken POW 21st Mar 1918. After the war he left England for Canada where he died. I would like some help with his Medal Roll Card. There is a note that the medal were returned (no doubt as his Canadian address was unknown. His card has tow dates (I assume there are dates - 8/8/53 and 24/9/53. Does this mean the war office tried to find him on these dates, or does they mean something else.  

image_2022-05-22_100141340.png

The wording for KR 1743 is:

Medals noted in records with the reference as King's Regulations for the Army (1912) Paragraph 1743 - are those medals which at the end of ten years still remain unclaimed and sent to the Deputy Director of Ordnance Stores, Royal Dockyard (Medal Branch) Woolwich to be broken up.

Normally it's stated that the medals were posted but as the post office had to obtain a signature for receipt if the man was not at that address the PO returned the medals to the Records Office. I think in some cases the Record Offices already knew the man had moved and they had no address on record for him so they never actually sent them. The medals were then returned by the Records Office to AG10 IE. the Medal Office.

The 1953 dates could relate to correspondence between the Medal Office and just about anyone else, pension?, death? The cards are marked up with dates like this into the late 1980s, sometimes they relate to inquiries by descendants of the man.

TEW

42 minutes ago, familyhistoryman said:

His card has tow dates (I assume there are dates - 8/8/53 and 24/9/53. Does this mean the war office tried to find him on these dates, or does they mean something else. 

My understanding is that the War Office did not have a policy of actively searching out those who had not received their medals. As no reason is stated on the card it will be impossible to be certain, but judging from other cards where there are both dates and reasons, I suspect an enquiry relating to medals was received on the 8th August 1953 and was responded to on the 24th September 1953. Unfortunately any related correspondence would have long since been destroyed.

Is there anything on the related Medal Roll to show whether the medals were re-issued?

Cheers,
Peter

32 minutes ago, PRC said:

Is there anything on the related Medal Roll to show whether the medals were re-issued?

Just the same notation that they had been returned under KR 1743

Many thanks for all the replies

Tony