Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How common were the ribbons mistaken?

tankengine888

One of Professor Richard Holmes' books has a picture of the 1914 Star on the dust-jacket. I was with him on tour once, and a friend of mine pointed out that the ribbon was reversed. He was a bit sheepish but said that he had not seen the picture before the book came out.

Ron

Not a Great War story, but I used to mount medals commercially at one time. One of my customers once complained that I had mounted his WW2 MM group incorrectly because "the King's head shouldn't have been seen" on the MM, War Medal and Defence Medal. In the end I ended up telling him to write to Spinks and ask them who was right.

1 minute ago, Medaler said:

Not a Great War story, but I used to mount medals commercially at one time. One of my customers once complained that I had mounted his WW2 MM group incorrectly because "the King's head shouldn't have been seen" on the MM, War Medal and Defence Medal. In the end I ended up telling him to write to Spinks and ask them who was right.

Good story must admit. I'll be honest, first time I saw medals online, I thought the same thing... but you learn overtime eh? But to think this guy had the MM [or atleast, had a relatives medal group] and got it incorrect is a shame. Oh well, it happens I suppose.. also a bit of help, what is 'Spinks'?
TTFN!

Just now, tankengine888 said:

Good story must admit. I'll be honest, first time I saw medals online, I thought the same thing... but you learn overtime eh? But to think this guy had the MM [or atleast, had a relatives medal group] and got it incorrect is a shame. Oh well, it happens I suppose.. also a bit of help, what is 'Spinks'?
TTFN!

It was the chaps own MM, won at Kohima whilst attached to a Gurkha unit. As for Spinks...

Spink & Son

Once regarded as leading experts and still highly regarded.

It was a very awkward moment as I obviously had a huge amount of respect for this bloke. How do tell somebody like that he doesn't know what he is talking about?

Warmest regards,

Mike

1 hour ago, Medaler said:

It was the chaps own MM, won at Kohima whilst attached to a Gurkha unit. As for Spinks...

Spink & Son

Once regarded as leading experts and still highly regarded.

It was a very awkward moment as I obviously had a huge amount of respect for this bloke. How do tell somebody like that he doesn't know what he is talking about?

Warmest regards,

Mike

Kohima? That's where 'Tam' Darling won it I recall. It was someone's grandfather off who do you think you are

Oh, thanks for the Spinks bit! Aussie here so not familiar.

I'd agree with how it was awkward! I mean, he might've respected the king more than anyone and found it disrespectful with his face being shown the world via some small 'tin' medals.

Anyhow, good story!... Out of curiousity, were there any interesting WW1 Racks you have come across?

Cheers!

Tank.

57 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Kohima? That's where 'Tam' Darling won it I recall. It was someone's grandfather off who do you think you are

Oh, thanks for the Spinks bit! Aussie here so not familiar.

I'd agree with how it was awkward! I mean, he might've respected the king more than anyone and found it disrespectful with his face being shown the world via some small 'tin' medals.

Anyhow, good story!... Out of curiousity, were there any interesting WW1 Racks you have come across?

Cheers!

Tank.

As a collector I am not sure how to start answering that. I tend to collect to the casualties within a 10 mile radius of my home town, Chesterfield in Derbyshire. We are right in the middle of England and our local regiment was the Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby). A great many of the lads are remembered on our numerous local memorials and I get to walk down the same streets that they would have known. They are all special really, but I am lucky to own a double gallantry group to the most highly decorated man on the memorial in the village of Ashover - DCM & MM. He was awarded the DCM for rescuing (amongst others) another local man from Hasland, and I own his 14-15 Star. Both started out as Foresters but were serving together in the same company of the MGC. Ultimately, neither of them came home. I was born and brought up in Hasland and this is our village memorial

Warmest regards,

Mike

Newbold & Hasland 009.JPG

2 hours ago, Medaler said:

As a collector I am not sure how to start answering that. I tend to collect to the casualties within a 10 mile radius of my home town, Chesterfield in Derbyshire. We are right in the middle of England and our local regiment was the Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby). A great many of the lads are remembered on our numerous local memorials and I get to walk down the same streets that they would have known. They are all special really, but I am lucky to own a double gallantry group to the most highly decorated man on the memorial in the village of Ashover - DCM & MM. He was awarded the DCM for rescuing (amongst others) another local man from Hasland, and I own his 14-15 Star. Both started out as Foresters but were serving together in the same company of the MGC. Ultimately, neither of them came home. I was born and brought up in Hasland and this is our village memorial

Warmest regards,

Mike

Newbold & Hasland 009.JPG

A DCM MM winner? Very nice! Sherwood Foresters took hard knocks in '16 and '17 as I recall, can't rightly remember though.
Anyhow, thanks!

I have a few where the BWM and  Vic ribbons are on the wrong medal. I leave as is, the ring has creased the BWM ribbon and wont look any better flattened. Also recently saw a pair as above to a partially sighted man , under St Dunstans care, I dont suppose he worried about it as he wore them with pride even though he couldnt see them well.