Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgian Army Acronyms

Guest tintin

Having discovered there are some Belgian Army experts on the forum can anyone help with the following?

What are FAe, FN, LtAvn, ELtAvn, ERM, ERCad, KSS, EPSL and QMT

Also DTCA which is definitely Artillery

Is L'Ord the Ordnance Corps, Gn the "Genie" and TTr the "Troupes des Transmissions" ?

Were the RASC and REME acronyms used for the English titles during WW2 or are they some unique Belgian acronyms which just happen to coincide?

Was the 1st Heavy Tank Battalion active in the Great War?

The reason behind this is that I have six LPs of Belgian Regimental Marches and the acronyms are n't spelt out. They also hve all the duty bugle calls for cavalry and infantry and the artillery requiem.They date back to the sixties and the Infantry and Artillery have good sleeve notes, but no one bothered with the corps.Anyone who enjoys military music would enjoy these and I can tape them if anybody would like.

Hello,

FN means Fabriques Nationales (National Factories), in fact the arms factories near Liège. It can also be Force Navale, Navy.

FAe Force Aerienne? Air Force

Jan

Hi Tintin,

Here are some more :

LtAvn : Light Aviation

ELtAvn : Elementen van de (Elements of the) Light Aviation (?)

ERM : Ecole Royale Militaire

ERCad : Ecole Royale des Cadets

EPSL : Ecole Préparatoire de Sous-Lieutenants

QMT : Quarter Master Transport

DTCA : Défense Terrestre Centre A....... (I don't believe it ! I Can't read my own handwriting anymore ! Sorry ! Avions ?)

My source (a retired Lieutenant-Colonel) told me that RASC and REME is British, and were taken over by the Belgian Army.

Enjoy the marches !

Aurel

Many, Many Thanks,

I do enjoy these records, the 1st Guides are a very good band and do seem to be enjoying themselves!

Belgium can pride itself that all but two of these very good marches were composed by serving bandmasters of its own army. They are much easier listening than those of your Gallic neighbours and more energetic than the Dutch!