Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 German map case (I think) with British markings

Yorkshire

Hello,

Picked this up recently which has proved to be a bit of a mystery. Firstly I can't find another map case the same so I'm assuming it could be private purchase. Press studs have RG stamped in them. Secondly there was a small tag with it which I can only read: Map case Captured from a German general..... L c Coy? ..6/7   presented by CSM C.A. KIELLER? KIELLAR? Or some variation of this name. The front is stamped (presumably after capture) CSM D Co. 6-7th RSF (6TH/7TH battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers) can anyone read the tag or shed any light onto the origin of this map case please? 

There was also a holster with it which I understand could have belonged to a high ranking German officer carrying a 6.5mm pistol.

Thanks, Rich

20220516_195736.jpg

20220516_194156.jpg

20220516_222222.jpg

20220516_200021.jpg

20220516_193738.jpg

20220516_222911.jpg

20220516_195741.jpg

20220516_195730.jpg

20220516_200031.jpg

Edited by Yorkshire

Yorkshire,

Welcome to the GWF.

I’m surprised that nobody has commented on the reversed R & normal G on the press-stud.

Surely that must be a telltale for a particular maker, whether British or German.

Meanwhile, the leather of both pieces seems to be in very good condition, esp. the holster which is gorgeous!

Please resist the temptation to add any leather cleaners/ foods/ conditioners/ polishes.

The only safe product is Renaissance Wax, which is widely available.

Regards,

JMB

Thanks JMB. 

I will leave it as it is because renaissance wax tends to blacken leather I've noticed. I've been on ancestry for hours today trying find this CSM but no luck yet! 

If you showed me the map case without saying anything about it, I would have picked it as WW1 British/Commonwealth private purchase. Various features, the mechanical texturing of the leather, and the small pocket with the round base are typically British. 

The mechanical texturing, allows defects in the quality of the hide to be concealed. The British did this widely for much of their equipment. The Germans did it also but usually as a small pebble pattern. High ranking officers of the period would typically have purchased premium equipment before the war.

Britain produced small leather cases for instruments. These were used for a wide variety of purposes and would fit in that pocket.  This could have held map pins or spare needles for compasses and dividers.

The add the markings to the CSM, and I would have picked it as the document case he used in the field.

Cheers

Ross

• 3 months later...

I’m late on the subject here so forgive me, the thread mentioned different leather treatments to avoid but I think the map case could benefit from cellugel. It’s an expensive product - expect to pay around 35 quid a tub but it’s probably the safest product to use on antique leather.

Pretty sure many museums use cellugel on leather and book conservationists also use it on old leather book bindings and covers.
Particularly if in some areas it’s dry and it’s showing signs of the beginning of red rot and the leather is feeling Sandy. 

Regards,  

Jacob.

Edited by Jacob1999