Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

University of Wolverhampton: MA in History (First World War) to recommence in September

WilliamRev

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

The superb MA (slightly renamed - used to be History of Britain and the First World War)  part-time over two years, is to start again this September. Following the retirement from the University of Prof. Gary Sheffield, Dr. Spencer Jones will be leading the course. I cannot recommend it too highly - it changed my life, not least because it gave me a whole load of new friends with whom I visit the Western Front most years, and led to me starting a PhD.

Details are at: https://www.wlv.ac.uk/courses/ma-history-first-world-war/ 

William

Edited by WilliamRev
Factual correction

10 hours ago, Ron da Valli said:

I would love to have a go at this but at nearly £4k a pop it's too rich for me. 

perhaps you could apply for a student loan which are available for postgrad courses. You do not start to repay unless you earn more than £21000 and only interest is taken into account as far as savings are concerned. And if you peg out before it is paid then they will not pursue beyond the grave

22 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

perhaps you could apply for a student loan which are available for postgrad courses. You do not start to repay unless you earn more than £21000 and only interest is taken into account as far as savings are concerned. And if you peg out before it is paid then they will not pursue beyond the grave

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it.

Darryl

I already have one degree so doubt I would get a grant to do another ... :(

On 19/05/2022 at 19:35, seaJane said:

I already have one degree so doubt I would get a grant to do another ... :(

The Postgraduate Masters loan (not a grant, but you only start paying at back if you earn enough, so for many of us it is effectively a grant) is available to do an MA as long as

1. You commence the course before you are aged 60

2.You do not already hold an equal or higher degree (so having an BA or a BSc is fine).

I receive a Postgraduate Doctoral loan (I doubt if I will earn enough to ever pay much if any of it back), and it was fine that I already had a BA and an MA. But I would not have been able to get a loan for a second masters degree - the key is that you get a loan to study a degree at a higher level than you have done before.

More details are available HERE

William

8 hours ago, WilliamRev said:

commence the course before you are aged 60

Very kind of you to send the information, but alas I turned 60 last year! (and I certainly couldn't have done an MA and kept working).

9 hours ago, WilliamRev said:

having an BA or a BSc is fine

Could be interesting - Oxford + Cambridge BAs upgrade to MA after 10 years...