Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wardown military hospital

tonie1973

Hi, I'm looking for information on a soldier called Hugh who died at the hospital aged 24 during ww1 if anyone can help please. 

Tonie - Welcome to the Forum. Do you have any more personal or military details for Hugh? Surname obviously, but also date of birth, family members, where born and where he lived.

Acknown

A little more information would be helpful, but this may be him:

2Lt Hugh Anthony Bertlin,Royal Engineers, died at Wardown Hospital on 12 July 1915 aged 24, as a result of being thrown from his motor-cycle after colliding with a car.

Martin

I went on a ghost hunt to wardown museum last night, and hugh followed my group around having a good chat with us, we found out he was in the military,  he was 24, he had a motorbike accident when he was riding and messing about with another soldier in front of him and they hit another vehicle, at one point i had a bad pain in the back right hand side of my head and hugh told us he hit his head, he also had a girlfriend called June, thank you for the information i really appreciate it.

Having been born and raised in Houghton Regis where 2/Lt. Bertlin's accident occurred I am familiar with the area and know of the event. The scene of the accident was the bend by The Chequers pub and that bend, up until around 1970, was a seriously dangerous blind one, not a place to be messing around on when riding a motorcycle. The "messing about" bit is news to me. He is buried in All Saints Churchyard, Houghton Regis and is one of five Great War soldiers buried there, all of them members of the Signal Service of the Royal Engineers who were based on the village green. Only one them has a CWGC headstone, that being the unfortunate Company Sergeant Major C. F. Hipperson who committed suicide by shooting himself in Mill Road, Houghton Regis on the 18th of January 1919 at the age of 38.    Pete.

Thank you pete, he told us last night whilst asking him questions that they were messing about, he was driving and there was a soldier sat infront of him, I've since found out that was 2nd lieutenant J R Smith he was hurt but lived and they hit a car.