Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dominikus Müller, Schwer Verwundet 25.4.1917

ph0ebus

Hi all,

I came across this photo in the course of other research and wanted to share.  From what I have read, others have tried to trace Dominikus and what became of him to no avail, but I’m going to give it the old college try.  All we apparently have to go on is this one postcard photo of him with the inscription he wrote on the reverse:

"zur Erinnerung an meine schwere Verwundung 25.4.17 in Frankreich durch Fliegerbombe - Dominikus Müller"

Photos discovered from the flikr stream of Drake Goodman.  If Dominikus has appeared on the forum before, I could not locate him via the search, so apologies extended if this is a duplication of a previous effort.

I don’t see any VL entry from that year for anyone of even a similar name but I’m just getting started.  If anyone else wants to have a dig around I’d welcome the assistance.  If not, no worries, still pleased to share this with my fellow pals as I found the photo both shocking and inspiring.

Daniel

C4626A2D-1396-4A7B-9A74-586F922CF07E.png

62CADDD7-AC1C-427A-B943-857594E49056.jpeg

Dominikus Müller, born 3rd July 1878 in Hohenpeißenberg. Broken back and both legs paralysed while serving with No. 2 Battery Ammunition Column, 9th Bn KB Fußartillerie Regiment 1. Admitted to Reserve Lazarett 36 on 24.4.1917 and discharged with a pension in August 1920.

Charlie

E81E642E-7DA3-4767-A0DB-791DA1104ED7.jpeg

Edited by charlie2
Info corrected thanks to GreyC

I‘ve tried all the permutations I could think of in the VL and found absolutely nothing. Interesting that he was a Coachman living in Montefon, Vorarlberg in Austria when he was recalled to the colours. Also that he was sentenced to 6 months 7 days detention for being AWOL in 1916, he was pardoned in November 1918.

Charlie

25527029-0F51-4A5A-8905-23C9F11982C8.jpeg

While we see him without legs on the photo, stating "after my grave/severe injury on 25.04.17 because of aircraft-bomb", in his Kriegsstammrollenauszug we can read under "additional info to personal file" / "Zusätze zu den Personalnotizen":

"24.4.17 0 h in the morning (midnight) met with an accident (verunglückt). According to the Stabsarzt (military medical doctor) of Fieldhospital 36 (Feldlazarett 36) Müller suffered a brocken back and the paralyses of both legs."

So no mention of any bombs and the legs were paralysed but still attached to the body.

GreyC

4 hours ago, GreyC said:

paralyses

Thanks for the correction, in my wishful thinking I read „Zertrümmerung“. It looks like I found the wrong person, sorry Daniel.

Charlie

51 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Thanks for the correction, in my wishful thinking I read „Zertrümmerung“. It looks like I found the wrong person, sorry Daniel.

Charlie

I don't think there would be 2 people named "Dominikus Müller" with serious injuries on 25 April 1917... I think this is the correct person. "verunglückt" can mean a lot of things. There may have been a bomb involved. Whatever happened may have necessitated amputation at a later point.

3 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Whatever happened may have necessitated amputation at a later point.

I´d agree. I didn´t find him in the VL, either. Checked different combinations (unit/surname; date of injury/surname; date of birth etc.)

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Wow, some amazing information!  I am thankful for everyone’s assistance with researching this fellow.

Daniel