Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Arthur J Rafferty, D Coy 18th Battalion

tankengine888

Hello!
Seeking information about Arthur John Rafferty, specifically around his first and only action he saw. He had an arm fracture on his first action which was amputated ending his career before it started. I have a summary of service here

'Arthur John Rafferty applied for a commission in early 1915 and was gazetted Second Lieutenant on the 6th March 1915 to D Company, 18th Battalion. He embarked on SS Ceramic from Sydney[NSW] on the 25th June 1915, arriving in Suez on the 24th July 1915. He then landed on to the Gallipoli Peninsula on the 22nd August his battalion. They had not been at Gallipoli for a day before being thrown into action at Hill 60 at Gallipoli with the Battalion suffering heavy casualties, killing or wounding 80% of them. It was during this action that Second Lieutenant Rafferty's left forearm was fractured. He got a promotion to Lieutenant whilst on his way to the 2nd London General Hospital, but his left arm ended up amputated. He was in England until late 1917, arriving back in Australia on the 21st November 1917 and his commissioned terminated on the 25th May 1918.'

I want to find out what his position was [I.E Platoon Commander] and what D Company was doing, the War Diary doesn't help at all.
My regards

Also, a photo of him in 1919? He's wearing 1914-15 Star
unknown.png

In his own words...

image.jpeg.87882b8b672eddbd354ee0ab76b5089a.jpeg

Looks like Officer Commanding 18th Battalion Machine Gun Section.

Australia, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920 courtesy Ancestry

George

Edited by George Rayner

4 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

In his own words...

image.jpeg.87882b8b672eddbd354ee0ab76b5089a.jpeg

Looks like Officer Commanding 18th Battalion Machine Gun Section.

Australia, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920 courtesy Ancestry

George

Oh I see, cheers for pointing that out! I struggle with reading cursive, so thanks for highlighting that!
TTFN!

35 years a teacher helps!

George