Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

23325 Pte C.J.Way, 3rd Grenadier Gds

Paul Reed

My wonderful better-half managed to find me a lovely birthday present; a silver hip-flask engraved to this soldier and dated in the field, Combles 5.3.17.

He is not on SWDG - anyone have any info on him?

I shall of course be writing to the Guards RO in due course - as per a recent thread somewhere else.

Paul - shame as I was at Wellington Barracks today ... however the archivist had a problem finding the service records of a couple of men I was looking for. In short they will continue to look for me and let me know in the next couple of weeks if they have found them. If I have to go back I can ask them to pull the file on this man in case yr letter writing is as prompt as mine!

Actually his service number is quite close to one of the Grenadier Guardsmen I was looking at. My number was 26282 and he enlisted 5 June 1916. It appears he carried out his basic service training in UK with 5 (Reserve?) Bttn and on completion transferred to the 3 Bttn, finally joining 4 Bttn upon reaching France in Jan 1917. There might be some "date" similarities with yr man.

Thanks for that Sigs - another Sigs, Clive Harris, is going to look him up on the MICs for me, so anything you can get from the Guards RO would be great. Just let me know any costs, mate.