Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery family photo

GoodersUK

Hi,

Relatively new here, hopefully this is the right place to ask the question.

I've been researching my Great Grandfather and his brother, both of whom served in WW1. However, going through the few pictures we have was this one, which is not either of them.

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the uniform to try and position it in time? My best guess is that it's taken pre-WW1 and I think he's wearing a Boer War medal with three clasps.

I'm wondering if the number on the epaulette is 16, which would make sense as my family is from Bedfordshire/Buckinghamshire and the 16th Foot became the Bedfordshire Regiment in 1881. However, that doesn't fit with the medal. It's a shame there's no capbadge.

Anyway, any observations gratefully received.

Stephen

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-12 at 5.52.13 PM.jpeg

King’s Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC) corporal , or possibly Royal Irish Rifles (RIR).  Wearing white summer walking out dress.  He’s a qualified marksman (crossed rifles on cuffs) and based in India as part of Britain’s overseas garrisons there.  As a four battalion regiment the KRRC had two battalions overseas, whereas the two battalion RIR had just one battalion overseas.  KRRC rank stripes were black mohair tape on a scarlet backing and the shoulder title KRR.  RIR title was those same three letters in black and the rank stripes mid green mohair tape on black backing.

F51BFE27-1DEC-4A33-89E1-AADCFB2F845D.jpeg

41D1E9F1-6D7E-4590-A2E5-AFF1C4BCB707.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

With a marksman proficiency badge on show. What a fine looking man. 

12 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

King’s Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC) corporal , or possibly Royal Irish Rifles (RIR).  Wearing white summer walking out dress.  He’s a qualified marksman (crossed rifles on cuffs) and based in India as part of Britain’s overseas garrisons there.  As a four battalion regiment the KRRC had two battalions overseas, whereas the two battalion RIR had just one battalion overseas.  KRRC rank stripes were black mohair tape on a scarlet backing and the shoulder title KRR.

Thanks, I think the epaulette badges are just two characters.

11 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

With a marksman proficiency badge on show. What a fine looking man. 

Sadly, if he is an ancestor, the looks weren't passed down.

9 minutes ago, GoodersUK said:

Thanks, I think the epaulette badges are just two characters.

If just two characters then he’s Rifle Brigade and the two letters RB, with rank stripes of black mohair tape on dark rifle green backing.  I confess I’ve only been able to squint at a phone screen and had thought it was three letters after initially seeing two!  Someone with a large PC screen can hopefully confirm which it is.  Ranks below officer in all three regiments wore the same style of black button.

D133D938-BD6B-4E35-8791-558B33C45826.jpeg

C3B208A2-C1C3-4AEE-901C-8D00B3892EFE.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

38 minutes ago, clk said:

I hope that this might help.

image.png.f90ae2ba7020b95612ec21dd1719fe19.png

Regards
Chris

The span of it from an oblique angle signifies 3-letters to me, with the central letter only partly visible, but others views might differ.

I agree with a date between 1902 and 1914, and if pushed would go for around 1910.

One of several Kinsey Brothers Photo Studios (established 1905) was based in the hill station of Simla, where infantry companies took it in turns to rest away from their duty stations during the hot season.  Apparently they made their fortunes via regimental photography and individual portraiture.

NB. Interestingly the Kinsey studios still exist in India.  They must have been a big company during the Raj as they had studio’s in New Delhi (Connaught Place), and Mussoorie (another hill station) too.

0857022B-5468-4F67-A28D-C560836EEA27.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE