Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help please to find Edward Druhan 231524 on 1911 Navy Census

Margaretnolan

I’m trying to find Edward Druhan on the 1911 Navy Census. I’ve searched and failed! 
His Register of services, link and photo below.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/212007:60522?tid=&pid=&queryId=5b2903067c1f701c20d9873089cd3918&_phsrc=Fli1&_phstart=successSource

Thank you.

Margaret

8808EB30-65C2-47D8-8534-15AAF1A54D90.jpeg

Edited by Margaretnolan

• Margaretnolan changed the title to Help please to find Edward Druhan 231524 on 1911 Navy Census

He is on line 21 of page 2 of the return for H.M.S. Sealark, then recorded in Colonial Waters.

The source I looking at – Genes Reunited -  has him with name transcribed as Edward DruhaM.

Looks like FindMyPast and Familysearch have the same surname spelling. As most of the genealogy sites seem to have used the same original transcription service, I suspect it’s the same for Ancestry.

Cheers,
Peter

32 minutes ago, PRC said:

He is on line 21 of page 2 of the return for H.M.S. Sealark, then recorded in Colonial Waters.

The source I looking at – Genes Reunited -  has him with name transcribed as Edward DruhaM.

Looks like FindMyPast and Familysearch have the same surname spelling. As most of the genealogy sites seem to have used the same original transcription service, I suspect it’s the same for Ancestry.

Cheers,
Peter

Super, thank you Peter very much. I found him. I see he was in Sydney Harbour on a surveying vessel.

Do you know what seaman (executive) signifies? 

Margaret

10 hours ago, Margaretnolan said:

Do you know what seaman (executive) signifies? 

I could have an informed guess :) but hopefully a forum member like @horatio2 will be able to give you chapter & verse - or know someone who can!

Cheers,
Peter

45 minutes ago, PRC said:

I could have an informed guess :) but hopefully a forum member like @horatio2 will be able to give you chapter & verse - or know someone who can!

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers Peter 

3 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

If he had joined after 1908, he would have had an official number with a "J" prefix.

I could have been less hasty, and more descriptive, in my response, 

Those ratings classed as executive would have had a "J" prefix after 1908. With regard to what is classed as "executive", this is explained by the article, the link to which was in my initial post.

from the 1st January 1908 [which lasted until 1925] the Admiralty decided to add a PREFIX to a new series of numbers.

'J' became executive [seamen and communicators]