Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

141st HB RGA (East Ham)

Derek Tickner

I have information that the 141st HB RGA was formed in East Ham in August 1915. Has anyone any idea what camp they would have trained at before going to France on April 29th 1916.
I have all the HAG diaries that the 141st were under, including their shipping manifest, I've also visited their gun positions in Ieper last month, but all i'm missing is their training camp/s.
    H e l p 
Regards
Derek

• Admin

You could try searching for service records for men who first joined it.

You often find in such records snippets of information where men were at a given time.

Just a thought if no luck otherwise.

Regards

Russ

5 hours ago, RussT said:

You could try searching for service records for men who first joined it.

Derek, the men you are looking for have service numbers in the range 293701 - 293950.

• Admin
40 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

the men you are looking for have service numbers in the range 293701 - 293950

That's "interesting" - I had the range 293681 - 293936 !

Russ

Derek,

Formed at East Ham with recruitment and initial training all at East Ham until the Battery moved to Charlton Park, Woowich in March16. Remained in training there until 19.04.1916 when it moved to Larkhill for firing practice and mobilisation. From there on the 29.04.1916 trekked to Southampton via Amesbury for embarkation to WF. Horses, guns, wagons and men embarked on the ‘Cluther’; a captured German merchantman (Southampton/ Harve).

Rgds Paul

• 1 month later...

hi ororkep
Thanks for the info, could you tell me where in East Ham they would have trained before Charleton Park? I cant find any info on any camps in the East End.
You mentioned that they sailed from Southampton on the 'Cluther' or 'Clutha' a captured merchantman, i have the shipping manifest for that Battery and it dosen't mention that ship Could you let me know where you found this please.
Its all getting rather confusing .
regards
Derek

Remember that Charlton Park was originally just an open muddy field.

Most of the men of 141 were apparently billeted in the Council Schools near the Town Hall; the Officers’ quarters being in Manor Farmhouse. Horselines were established at a farm near Vicarage Lane, East Ham, whilst others were stabled at Mansfields in the Romford Road. I would imagine the German vessel was renamed.

This and the sailing information previously mentioned all came from the battery book compiled mostly from a history by the former BSM which I’m sure I’ve mentioned before on this forum:

Record of the 141st Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery. The Great War 1914-1918.

The IWM hold a copy.

1 hour ago, ororkep said:

I would imagine the German vessel was renamed.

If so, these are the options. A little research may reveal which one, or at least eliminate some. 

The Advance Party come out on one of these ships...

SS Normannia, SS Bellerophon, SS Connaught

The main body came out on one of these ships...

SS Hantonia, SS Deventia, SS Huntscraft, SS Viper

Below are extracts from the Havre Base Commandant's War Diary WO95/4030/4

ad1.JPG

ad2.JPG

4 hours ago, ororkep said:

Record of the 141st Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery. The Great War 1914-1918.

The IWM hold a copy.

Very helpfully the RA Museum via The Ogilby Muster have made a copy available here:

"Search | The Ogilby Muster" https://www.theogilbymuster.com/search/results#/?query="141 heavy"&page=1&type=flex&sort=Regimental_Collection asc&filterBy=Regimental_Collection,"Royal Artillery Museum"&spellCheck=true&recordView=2471844

Hi charlie962

Many thanks for the link on the 141st, excellent reading, answers lots of questions. Thanks again