Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 4759 James Taylor Manchester Regiment

8055Bell

Please can someone find a Death Registration for this man who has a strong case for commemoration?

James Taylor died from TB that was aggravated by service. See Pension Record.

He was allegedly born in St Clement's, Lancs in July 1879. Addresses in Manchester.  No NoK in 1916.

Further notes

Pte Taylor (B 1879) had been a groom when he enlisted on 4/9/1914. His posting to 2nd Bttn was cancelled in October 1914 and James became an Officer’s Servant in 4th Bttn.
Discharged sick from 4th Bttn at Riby on 12/2/1916, James was moved to Crumpsall Hosp. He had Phithisis aggravated by Military Service.
James died on 29/10/1917. Cause n/k. Pension Appealled.  
NoK Friend John Turnbull, 8 Rumford Pl, C on M.

Thanks

Tim

Edited by 8055Bell
Correction to year of birth

Reference on BMD... James Taylor aged 38yrs Death reg Dec 1917 West Derby ??? Death Certificate would need to confirm death aggravated by Service.

MIC/SWB Records May include some details

DF60F9FF-8DE3-4487-AC32-021840C0C1D4.png

Edited by BarbaraG

Hi Barbara,

The W Derby chap was buried in Toxteth Park in Dec 1917, so he can't be the same man I'm afraid.  Thanks for trying.

Tim

If born 1889 and died 4thQ/DecQ 1917 = age c.28

Could this perhaps be him on free BMD ???

Deaths Dec 1917

Taylor, James  Age: 27   Oldham    Vol. 8d  Page. 678

Or perhaps:

Deaths Dec 1917

Taylor James     Age: 24   Ashton    Vol: 8d  Page:  503   =  Ashton/Ashton-under-Lyne is quite close to Chorlton-on-Medlock

If he had no close family then a non-family person registering his death could perhaps have made a mistake with his age - death registrations can be notorious for small mistakes [many more than births when registered by parents!]

???

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

3 minutes ago, 8055Bell said:

I had contradictory years of birth.  He was 38 - not 28. Born July 1879.

I had just added another JT in my earlier post and close to C-o-M = but if you are sure, then ???

M

Thanks M,

I wonder if this is our man. Son of George & Mary Jane Taylor of St Clement Parish, Openshaw. Resident there 1881-1901. The family were still there in 1916 when his brother enlisted and I can't explain why a friend would've been NoK... A Coach Trimmer in 1901 - similar to a groom in 1914?

Otherwise he must have been an Alias.

Tim

Edited by 8055Bell

6 hours ago, 8055Bell said:

I wonder if this is our man. Son of George & Mary Jane Taylor of St Clement Parish, Openshaw. Resident there 1881-1901.

Possibly the George Taylor who died in 1922 age 71 and was buried at Gorton Cemetery, CON Q/52. He was a blacksmith (same as the census) but he's also the only person buried in that plot.

EDIT:

I could be barking up the wrong tree, but this page in your man's file gives his age as 56 rather than 36:

Capture.JPG.97e27aea15920a8447428f73ec174e22.JPG

The physical description elsewhere says he had grey hair and was partially bald. That doesn't mean that he wasn't in his 30s, but it does suggest an older man.

Could he therefore be either James Taylor (age 50) or perhaps more likely James Thomas Taylor (age 58), both registered at Prestwich in the 4th quarter of 1917? I think that would be the correct district for a death at Crumpsall Hospital.

EDIT 2:

Just looked up those two deaths on Lancashire BMD: the man aged 50 was registered in the Cheetham sub-district, and the man aged 58 was registered in Newton Heath sub-district. Don't know if that helps at all.

Edited by PaulC78

It's an interested thought, Paul. 
Even if we had the DCs of the 2 older men, we wouldn't be able to prove they were the same man as the pension record.

I'm going to dig deeper though.

Thanks

Tim

3 hours ago, 8055Bell said:

Even if we had the DCs of the 2 older men, we wouldn't be able to prove they were the same man as the pension record.

I'm not going to suggest you buy every DC - but they quite often give military details, even after discharge.

M