Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

T/y Lieutenant John Charles Spencer Warwick, Anson Battalion 1915

RPea

@RPea I intend writing a book next winter about the lives of the RNVR officers and men whose names are on the honours board in HMS EAGLET, Liverpool. 

I did a quick dive into a name which was unusual (Spencer-Warwick) just out of interest sake, and this thread came up. Can I ask what you connection is to him?

One of the replies mentions the RND online - can someone direct me to this please?

Hi. I wrote an article about John Charles Spencer Warwick (not hypenated) for the last issue of "The Gallipolian". I had recently written a book about his mother Mary Alice Spencer Warwick (nee Berners). I have, on loan, the original negative of JCSW a few days before he died and letters he sent to various relatives, the last being to his grandfather Charles Hugh Berners.  CHB lost his youngest son, his grandson and son-in-law during WW1. If I can help with any information, please ask.

Thank you so much. I will certainly read that and come back later in the year if I may.

Attached is the honours board in HMS EAGLET 

John 

IMG20230401001516.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hello RPea

As you probably know, Lieutenant John Charles Spencer-Warwick RNVR Anson Bn had been a member of the Mersey Division RNR. Mersey 5/125 Leading Seaman Frederick Charles Lancaster RNVR Anson Bn RND was also.

I am currently employed at HMS Eaglet (formerly HMS Eagle), and have taken on researching the war memorial to those members of HMS Eagle who fell in the Great War 1914-1918.

Attached is a photograph of Leading Seaman Lancaster from the Wallasey News.

Kindest regards

Pete

1b. photo.JPG

P1060679 (50).JPG

P1060733.JPG

P1060767.JPG

• 3 months later...

Hello RPea and abbrover,

I am also researching the Eagle(t) WW1 Honours Board. and have been downloading all of the RND cards and the RNVR Enrolment/ Service Forms from the National Archive, and developed a spreadsheet with the grave sites, cause of death etc. where applicable. CO Eaglet asked me to do this a while ago and I had not got round to it as I was busy with my other commitments. Happy to share all I have including details of the VIKNORs, HMS ASSISTANCE, etc. and assist in further research. Happy to meet and share.

Kind Regards

Martin