Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW

Guest Ian Topham

Guest Ian Topham

1. Is there a list of British Soldiers that were POW, with any details?

2. Family tradition states that my Grandfather 809 Pte George Sumner (Regiment unknown maybe a Lancashire Regiment) was catured during the Somme Offensive of 1916. Can this fact be confirmed with any details? :ph34r:

The only list I know of is the one compiled by the Red Cross - and that is at their HQ in Geneva. I also understand that they no longer answer enquiries re. WW1 POWs, sadly.

Unfortunately not much use in this case,Ian, but a list was published in (I think) 1919 (ish) of the British officers who were POW's. This has been re-printed by the N&MP.

Apart from the Red Cross list as mentioned by Paul, I don't know of any other source listing prisoners all together. (Regimental archives, maybe?...or perhaps (for those in Germany - if the lists survived WW2) Bundesarchiv or Deutsche Dienstelle?).

If your Grandfather was in a Lancashire Regiment (MIC could confirm this), the archive for 3 of them (East, South and Loyals)are all together in Preston, I could always take a look for you.

Dave.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Dave,

Have you got a POW list for the 17th Manchesters handy?

I am looking for any info on 49733 Pte J H Stanley who was captured on 22 March 1918.

Cheers,

Ian