The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL CORPS DIARY CAPT. RUDOLPH ALBERT PETERS

This is being advertised for sale by public auction. Assuming I am not breaking GWF rules - its not on e-by-gum and I have no connection to the sale! - check https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/james-and-son-auctioneers/catalogue-id-srjam10194/search-filter?brand=First World War

Julian

alerting @petestarling

Thanks Sea Jane! Hope you are well... I half-thought of getting it myself as a retirement(!) project but would rather it went to a more appropriate home! A quick search showed be our Captain was quite some guy then (MC and bar) and later, and there are archives elsewhere.

Julian

Thanks, I'm fine - retired myself, but still committed to some naval medical history things and trying to merge contents of two dwellings, so I don't feel retired...

Jane, thanks for the alert.

On 07/05/2022 at 00:43, seaJane said:

Thanks, I'm fine - retired myself, but still committed to some naval medical history things and trying to merge contents of two dwellings, so I don't feel retired...

Happy retirment! To Wincanton? My retirment is at least five years off when the younger boy gets out of school...

Anyway, thanks for alerting petestarling to this document. There is, as you may know, an interesting Wikipedia article on him - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolph_Peters I would love to see the diary as it seems to be very detailed, and so might throw light on something that I am interested in - the frequency of bayonet wounds in the GW. The official reports say almost zilch on these, but entries in war and other diaries make it quite clear that bayonet fighting took place on a regular basis when clearing trenches, etc.

Julian

I saw some letters by George Murray Levick (surgeon RN, veteran of Terra Nova Expedition, Gallipoli, the Western Front and WW2 commando training) for auction once; the auctioneer kindly forwarded my details to the buyer who, also kindly, let me have an image of the lot. Perhaps these auctioneers would do the same for you?

sJ

PS - yes, Wincanton, eventually.