Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wexford Area Soldiers?

Ian C

Very very longshot I know, but these two phots have been sent to me with the following text.
If you have any ideas please get in touch.

My Maternal Grandparents lived on a farm near to Forth Mountain off the road from Wexford to Duncannon.
By 1915 my Grandfather was dying and it is likely they posed for final photographs – likely in Wexford town.
They are pretty big photos and mounted in oak frames.
In recent years I found the attached photos behind my relatives and have no idea who the soldiers are.
Their regiments may be identifiable.
As you know lots of Wexfordmen soldiered in France in WW1 – John Redmond was a big voice in Wexford.
It could be that these men went off to war and never returned to collect their photos – who knows.
If they can be identified I am more than happy to give the originals to their relatives.

Regards
IanC

Behind portrait full size.jpg

Behind 2nd portrait 6x8.jpg

7 hours ago, Ian C said:
...In recent years I found the attached photos behind my relatives and have no idea who the soldiers are.
Their regiments may be identifiable...

The top photo shows a member of the Royal Field Artillery, identifiable from his shoulder titles saying RFA and artillery buttons. The lower man has no obvious insignia and also appears to have the General Service buttons which are a generic issue item. In either case the task of identifying them is likely impossible on such scant information I'm afraid...

I presume the photos were found in the oak frames behind the relatives' photos? In that case they are probably related to the maternal grandparents  - if the surname of those grandparents (and grandmother's maiden name) were known, it might be possible to narrow down the search somewhat.

Wexford infantry troops would usually be with the Royal Irish Regt, look up "Wexford war dead" also.