Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone visited the Guynemer Pavilion?

Tom Kilkenny

Just back from the Salient where we stayed at Varlet Farm.  By the way, the excellent host there, David, gave us a pass which we were able to use at several of the museums in the area.  Make sure you ask for one if you're staying in the area.

We saw the new museum beside the Guynemer Memorial in Poelkapelle but didn't get a chance to pay a visit.  In fact the building works appeared unfinished though I gather the museum is open.   

Worth looking at next time we're there?

Also visited the Mons Memorial Museum and St Symphorien which was more beautiful than ever.  

Edited by Tom Kilkenny

• 1 month later...

Yes, I've visited this, and I thought that it was quite good; I'd recommend a visit.

My visit was in 2020, pre Covid, so I'm interested to see that the building work hasn't been completed yet! It wasn't open to the general public then, but Leger had arranged a visit as it was part of their "Above the Battlefield - The Air War" tour, as it still is. The building work seemed to be external, as inside it was all fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Any news on this? I thought I might pay a visit to this and the Tank Memorial when I am in the area next week.  I haven't been to Poelkappelle for several years. Google reckons it's 'temporarily closed'  and the museum website hasn't been updated recently. 

• 2 weeks later...