Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Social & Economic reasons for the campaign

michaeldr

Quote from Andrew Krepinevich's review of

The War Lords and the Gallipoli DisasterHow Globalized Trade Led Britain to its Worst Defeat of the First World War by Nicholas A. Lambert

...the ongoing Russo-Ukraine war threatens raw material exports from both countries—wheat among them—Lambert’s cautionary tale of Britain’s war lords can be read with great profit by senior U.S. policymakers today as they struggle with the challenges of waging war during the second great age of economic globalization. Over a century ago, a complex combination of factors found the British government conducting a military operation widely viewed as a forlorn hope out of economic and social necessity.

For the full review, go to:- https://www.americanpurpose.com/articles/gallipoli-history-is-rhyming-again/?utm_campaign=oupac-campaign:1445737126485788957&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=post:1499083139601839663&utm_term=OUP%20History

For the book, see https://oxford.universitypressscholarship.com/view/10.1093/oso/9780197545201.001.0001/oso-9780197545201

Interesting theory - what do you think Michael?

Reminds me of the defeat of Athens from threat of starvation, after Sparta took the Dardanelles in 405BC. I'm sure many civil servants and military officers in 1915 would have had a classical education...

I've always recognised that the Russian empire's grain harvest was important to the allies, but I've previously only though of trade as one reason among several for the campaign.

Something to look into further.

I'm not sure that I see the parallels with today's situation. Surely the damage to international trade is a consequence of the current campaign by Russia, rather than a causus belli

2 hours ago, michaeldr said:

I'm not sure that I see the parallels with today's situation.

Agreed. Nor do I think the price of bread would put HMS Elizabeth in the Black Sea.

23 hours ago, Open Bolt said:

HMS Elizabeth

Apologies for butting in, but HMS Queen Elizabeth.

sJ