The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Imperial Navy Dagger (date?)

Nicholas

Does anyone recognise this specific dagger? Possibly German Imperial Navy, but it has a very distinctive scabbard. If anyone can help me with this /and preferably give links, sources of screenshot images), I would be very grateful. Of course, if anyone has in depth knowledge of the range and production of these daggers, it would be of great help.

Q1.  Is this possibly a variant of the 1906 model?

Q2.  Was there a later variant that came after the 1906 model and before the Reichsmarine daggers began to appear (@1933?)?

Q3.  Was there a 1924 model?

No photo description available.

Hi Nicholas. Welcome to the forum. I thought it might be helpful to tag two German military experts who maybe able to assist you. Kind regards. 

@AOK4 @GreyC

Also @JWK might be able to comment.

Don't think I'll be able to help.

Also: I don't see a photo?

nophoto.jpg.8123f15b9b2e5256b531abcdf7e6dfc7.jpg

When you reply attach the photos here:

nophoto1.jpg.84aa1f2a0e232af958a110aa8a2cf763.jpg

Sorry - the cut/paste shows fine on my feed. Here you go!

Dagger.jpg

Hi,

can´t help really. The imperial navy dagger I know all have the imperial crown at the top.

Best,

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Does the crown feature four imperial eagles? Very similar daggers have slightly different pommels (e.g. +/- a tang button), so may have been used as national and international variants, based on a standard pattern. Importantly, is this scabbard common to a specific service or sub-group, and do you have any idea when this model stopped being used? A similar item (with 4 eagles) was sold in the UK in 2019 as 'a Victorian Royal Navy Dirk', but I feel the dagger is German not British, and dates after the Victorian era ended in 1901.