Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Zaria ????

Guest dulce et decorum est

Guest dulce et decorum est

I am just trying to find some information on HMS Zaria, my great grandfather died on board in 1916 from TB. I have tried to search on the internet but have hit a brickwall, i think it was a minesweeper but i can't be sure. Can anyone shed any light on the subject???????

Pendent No Y9.22, HMS ZARIA, launched 1904, 3549 tons, Mercantile Fleet Auxiliary used as a Squadron Supply Ship , requisitioned 26/11/1914 to 30/07/1919, became Armed Patrol depot ship at Longhope ( Scapa Flow) from June 1915.

She was never involved in minesweeping.

She was therefore a Depot Ship at Longhope at the time of your Grandfather's death.

Aye

Malcolm

• 3 years later...
Guest veesixteen

My Grandfather, James William REYNOLDS, was a stoker aboard HMS Zaria in 1918-19. He died of concussion in Greenock on 24/10/19 at age 38. Would the navy have a record of his date and place of birth as well his final resting place? Thanks.

Marguerite (Gita) SAUNDERS [in South Carolina, USA]

I am just trying to find some information on HMS Zaria, my great grandfather died on board in 1916 ...

Welcome to the forum Gita,

The Royal Naval seaman's registers are online, there is one match for those names, but not for that age:

Name Reynolds, James William

Official Number: 162510

Place of Birth: Dunganstown, Wicklow

Date of Birth: 08 October 1875

link to the record http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...F=ADM+188%2F240

Guest veesixteen

Thank you for your kind and prompt reply. Is there any way to consult the individual record. I have clicked on the link you provided but I can't go to record No. 162510. Of course I may be doing soemthing wrong; that would not be surprising for me!

... Welcome to the forum, Gita ...

Hello Gita, your grandfather is not listed in the Admiralty casualty records, which implies he must have left the service, perhaps invalided out.

Best wishes

David

• 10 years later...

Hello all trying to find out more information on David Johnston , my step grandfather who was on the HMS ZAIRA ,Date of death 25/10/16 on death certificate drowned,

job description trimmer

regards Wayne

• 2 years later...
On 22/03/2005 at 21:40, Malcolm said:

Pendent No Y9.22, HMS ZARIA, launched 1904, 3549 tons, Mercantile Fleet Auxiliary used as a Squadron Supply Ship , requisitioned 26/11/1914 to 30/07/1919, became Armed Patrol depot ship at Longhope ( Scapa Flow) from June 1915.

She was never involved in minesweeping.

She was therefore a Depot Ship at Longhope at the time of your Grandfather's death.

Aye

Malcolm

This is true. She was depot ship to Auxillary Patrol Zone III. However, the motor launches (H.M.M.L.s), amongst other smaller vessles based with her often took on minesweeping duties.

• 2 years later...

I am researching the HMS Zaria, my Grandfather's record shows him serving on board this ship and being demobbed from the ship at Longhope in 1919, rating is shown as trimmer.  The information in this discussion is very interesting, but I wonder does anyone have any more information on what a depot ship was please and what they did?  His record also mentions HMS Thornton, is that another ship, or is that what they called the base?  I know my Grandfather was a trawlerman living in Grimsby prior to WW1 and signed up for the Royal Navy Reserve in 1910, so trying to piece together why he would have become RNR so long before the war and what his service would have entailed.  If anyone has any information it would be much appreciated. 

Anglea, welcome!

ZARIA was depot ship for auxiliary patrol craft based at Longhope, looking after a large number of auxiliary trawlers. The ship would have supplied smaller vessels attached to it with whatever supplies they required, and also assisted with basic maintenance and repairs.

THORTON was one of the trawlers that ZARIA looked after, I believe she was assigned to the Northern Patrol

A Trimmer on a trawler would have spent a lot of his time shovelling coal (fuel for the steam engine).

RNR Trawler Section was first established in 1910 in order to have a trained reserve of trawlermen available to augment RN minesweeping capability in the event of war.

More info might be possible if we had the name of your GF.

MB

Thank you for the information, KizmeRD.

My Grandfather was Frederick James Coultas. He was born in Grimsby in 1890 and at the time when he joined the RNR he was living in Montague Street, which is shown on his record as Grimsby, but is actually in Cleethorpes. He met my Grandmother whilst stationed at Longhope and she moved from Orkney to Grimsby in 1919.  

His record indicates that he enlrolled in the RNR (Trawler Section) 13 May 1915 and served the entirety of the was as a Trimmer aboard HM Trawler THORNTON (one of a flotilla of auxiliary craft attached to HMS ZARIA depot ship, Longhope). Dispersed to shore on demobilisation 27 February 1919.

Entitled to 1914-15 Star, BWM & Victory Medal.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

A bit more detail on HMS THORNTON:  a Fleetwood trawler, she was hired by the Admiralty and from 20 May 1915 she was fitted-out for naval service at Devonport, based on HMS VIVID II. On completion, she was transferred north to be based on HMS ZARIA from 1 July 1915.