Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corps S.A.P.

ianjonesncl

Pals

I have been looking at the war diary of the Bermuda Contingent RGA and their initial tasking on the Somme. The Contingent's primary function was the handling of ammunition. Their 4 officers and 200 ORs, were divided into 4 detachmments (1+50) and were allocated to fours Corps. [see below].

The war diary records two of the detachments being sent to a Corps S.A.P.

I am thinking the A.P. stands for Ammuntion Point.

Anyone know what the abbreviation S.A.P. means ?

Ian

image.png.70d4978f474f1e4aeec7f0decd5ab89a.png

Officer

Formation

Major TM DILL

10 Corps HA HQ

Lt HAMILTON

8 Corps SAP

Lt SMITH

3 Corps HA HQ

2/Lt GOSLING

15 Corps SAP

Modern UK terminology is formalised as Ammunition Supply Point (ASP) and Ammunition Handling Area (AHA). Rather simplistically ASP for storing/distributing and HA for preparing (bashing)/distributing.......but judging by your logo you already know that!

Might it be possible that they are just using the variations of Supply Ammunition Point (SAP) and (Ammunition) Handling Area (HA) to identify these same functions?

RAINCHEVAL is 22 kilometres north-north-east of Amiens and a well recorded admin area. LA NEUVILLE is on the Somme River and a well known period narrow gauge railway start point to the forward lines.

Edited by TullochArd
.......but judging by your logo you already know that!

Siege Ammunition Park?

1 hour ago, TullochArd said:

Modern UK terminology is formalised as Ammunition Supply Point (ASP) and Ammunition Handling Area (AHA). Rather simplistically ASP for storing/distributing and HA for preparing (bashing)/distributing.......but judging by your logo you already know that!

Ammunition Control Point (ACP) in my time .... looks like the terminology has moved on.

Supply Ammunition Point could be a possibility. The HA in the war diary I believe is Corps Heavy Artillery HQ.

Edited by ianjonesncl

48 minutes ago, Colin W Taylor said:

Siege Ammunition Park?

I was wondering that... though not a term I have heard before.

Phil Jobson's Royal Artillery Glossary of Terms and Abbreviations does not list the term, but it is a possibility.

56 minutes ago, petwes said:

Maybe Siege Artillery Park?

I think you’re probably right.  Apparently they (Siege Parks) were based on an ASC Mechanical Transport Company plus attached artillery personnel including men dedicated to ammunition resupply: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/164218-siege-parks/

It makes sense that trained gunners were used for handling ammunition at the siege park end of the supply chain.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Siege Artillery Park sounds good. Although the Bermuda Contingents primary function was ammuntion handling, the war diary also records them assiting individual Siege Batteries as well.

9 minutes ago, ianjonesncl said:

Siege Artillery Park sounds good. Although the Bermuda Contingents primary function was ammuntion handling, the war diary also records them assiting individual Siege Batteries as well.

It seems to have been a slightly alternative acronym and is mentioned in the acknowledgments at the very bottom of the page at this link Ian: https://www.bradfordgrammar.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/1918-November-7-Pearson-203.pdf

In the GWF thread (first link) I posted above it specifically mentions ammunition handling as a role at the Siege Parks.

Edited by FROGSMILE