The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death Certificate

Milutin

Hello I am wanting to know how I can go about finding the death certificate for my great grandfather he died in France May 15 1918 he was from blind river a few years ago my mother house was broken in to and the memorial plaque scroll Ross rifle bayonet has well has other were took. I Thank You Kerry Milutin Bakersfield California

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Milutin said:

Hello I am wanting to know how I can go about finding the death certificate for my great grandfather he died in France May 15 1918 he was from blind river a few years ago my mother house was broken in to and the memorial plaque scroll Ross rifle bayonet has well has other were took. I Thank You Kerry Milutin Bakersfield California

What was his name and service number ?

Craig

Hi Kerry,

As per Craigs post above, his service file indicates that having been admitted to 57 Casualty Clearing Station, Joseph died there at 4:25am on 15th May 1918 as a consequence of pneumonia.

image.png.1277c039a8d4103c2f5b7fdd4c75acca.png
Image sourced from the Library And Archives Canada

If you would like an image of his headstone, it might be worth approaching British War Graves (link). They appear to have images of the graves in Aubigny Communal Cemetery Extension, but I don't know if their coverage extends to the Canadian graves. They (he) is very helpful, and if they do have one, he will send a decent quality digital image, pretty quickly, on a free of charge basis.

Regards
Chris

Edited by clk

2 hours ago, Milutin said:

Joseph Willette 1003958, 102bn, 2nd Central Ontario 

See: Libraries and Archives Canada - Commonwealth War Graves Registers, First World War 

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/mass-digitized-archives/commonwealth-war-graves-registers/Pages/item.aspx?PageId=159217 

Pages 1119 & 1120 - Quickest to zoom to last page,1128, and then to back up

LAC's descriptions of this resource:

Volumes 39 to 144 are known as the “Black Binders” and serve as a register of death and location of the body or memorial, serving primarily as a death certificate and register of burial for those serving in Belgium, France or the United Kingdom.

This series (volumes 39 to 144) consists of registers known as the “Black Binders” and are a record for registering with the Imperial War Graves Commission the graves of Canadian Expeditionary Force members killed in Belgium, France and United Kingdom during the First World War. The registers are arranged in alphabetic order and provide for each Canadian Expeditionary Force member a two page document that contains the following information:

• Service number
  • Rank
  • Name
  • Unit
  • Date of death
  • Cause and place of death
  • Casualty sheet number
  • Date of burial
  • Location of grave
  • Information on the next of kin and
  • Communication of the grave location to the next of kin.

In cases where there was no known grave, the page will be stamped with the memorial on which the name of the individual is inscribed, e.g. Vimy Memorial, Menin Gate etc. These registers appear to have been compiled after the war from the information in the Circumstances of Death registers (“Brown Binders”) and from individual service files. It should be noted that the post-war movement of graves, of which there is sometimes a series of movements, will be recorded in these registers.

When the Public Archives of Canada (PAC), now Library and Archives Canada, took over responsibility for historical military service records in 1971, these records were transferred to Library and Archives Canada.

Photo of grave headstone available at Find a Grave https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56155226/joseph-willette 

M

Edited by Matlock1418
grave

Thank you that was very nice, but I have been to those what I am talking about is a death certificate that is a very beautiful document I can't explain what I'm taking about but thank you very much Kerry Milutin