Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt Hubert Stephen Slepowron de Jastrzebski - 24th Battalion London Regiment

Neil Mackenzie

According to CWGC (and his MIC) Hubert was a member of 24th Bn London Regiment and was kia on 5/4/1917 aged 22.

He apparently died at 5thCCS of wounds received at Havrincourt Wood the day before (according to 'Croydon and the Great War') and is buried at Bray Military Cemetery.

However, I cannot find any War Diary to explain his death. I also did not think we were

near Havrincourt in April 1917.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Neil

I did wonder that Alan but wasn't too sure where to start.

But your comment did make me think again and I have looked at CWGC for men who were killed on 4 April 1917. There are a lot buried in Neuville-Bourjonval (11th Bn Rifle Brigade) and Metz-en-Coutre (10th and 11th KRRC) cemeteries. Both are due west of Havrincourt so I am going to look at their War Diaries to see if there are any clues.

Thanks.

Neil

He was with 11th Battalion Rifle Brigade! Thanks again Alan.

Neil

Edited by Neil Mackenzie

Thanks everyone.

I know the archivist at Whitgift having done a lot of work on the memorial at Whitgift Middle (now Trinity School) which is part of the same Foundation.

Hubert lived almost next door to Whitgift School and worked in insurance after leaving there. He joined 5th Bn London Regiment and was wounded at Ypres in May 1915. He was commissioned in August 1915 and wounded again at Ypres in February 1916.

I would need to check further but I suspect he was attached to the Rifle Brigade after returning from that second wound but died soon after doing so. I have attached a picture of him.

Neil

De_Jastrzebski_BrayMilitary.jpg