Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika Campaign visit, May 2022 photo Offers

keithmroberts

I’ll be in Greece and (briefly), North Macedonia in May. This will not be a cemetery tour, but it is likely that I will be briefly at the following. Salonika Lembet Road Military Cemetery, Struma Military Cemetery, The Doiran Memorial to the Missing,  and, dependent on time, The Doiran Military Cemetery,  and the Karasouli Military Cemetery. No other cemeteries will be visited.

I will happily attempt to photograph graves at those locations for members, (I may have some wanted ones from previous visits), and ask that members wanting photographs provide the details as named on CWGC, and in each case the  row and grave numbers. I have cemetery plans on my tablet. Some of the visits will be with a group and I don’t intend to hold them up, so no absolute promises can be made. Unless I already have a suitable image, I will contact members with results after 17 May 2022. Please send any requests by PM not later than May 2nd.

Keith

Hello Keith

I have just started researching my Great Grandfather, his body was never received from the 1917 Battle of Doiran in Salonika. His name is Edwin Francis Wootton from the 9th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment and his name (I Believe) is on a plaque at the Doiran Memorial for the missing. I plane to visit in the next few years as I now live in Brisbane, but my Dad still lives in Gloucester, if possible and if not inconvenient is there a chance you could find his name and take a photo, it would be highly appreciated.

I have put a link here that relates to Edwin and gives a little history. https://www.gloucesterrugbyheritage.org.uk/content/people/new-honours/military-honours/unsung-heroes-allen-lodge-and-edwin-wootton

Thanks

Simon

Could you check on the status of Gradsko cemetery? It was pretty much forgotten and I wonder whether my inquiries at VdK were successful after the Saloniki campaign group provided me with photos.

6 hours ago, egbert said:

Could you check on the status of Gradsko cemetery?

Sorry Egbert, we won't be heading further north than Kosturino on this visit, but we have some contacts who might be able to find out. I should be seeing one or two of them, so will ask if they can investigate.

Hi Keith, thanks for your offer of photos - I would like to request photos of:

15019 Pte J. Nicholls, 7th Bn Royal Berkshire Regiment, 24 May 1917 - Salonika (Lembet Road) Military Cemetery Ref. 1050

17143 Pte J. Hitchcock, 9th Bn Gloucestershire Regiment, 21 September 1917 - Karasouli Military Cemetery Ref. C.440

Many thanks,

trbl_tommy