Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wreck of HMS JASON found

seaJane

"The wreck of a British warship has been found off the west coast of Scotland, almost 105 years to the day HMS JASON sank. 25 men died as the torpedo gunboat went down in five minutes off the Isle of Coll in April 1917, after striking a German mine while conducting minesweeping operations. [NB: built 1892, converted for minesweeping. sJ]

Her wreck lies 93 metres down and is surprisingly intact – minus the bow, which was destroyed when she struck the explosive."

The date was the 3rd April; of the 25 dead the only body recovered was that of James Edward Blackman https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2752775/james-edward-blackman/. The RN article says he was from Southsea, but his parents lived in Beckenham.

sJ

Edited by seaJane

21 hours ago, seaJane said:

"The wreck of a British warship has been found off the west coast of Scotland, almost 105 years to the day HMS JASON sank. 25 men died as the torpedo gunboat went down in five minutes off the Isle of Coll in April 1917, after striking a German mine while conducting minesweeping operations. [NB: built 1892, converted for minesweeping. sJ]

Her wreck lies 93 metres down and is surprisingly intact – minus the bow, which was destroyed when she struck the explosive."

The date was the 3rd April; of the 25 dead the only body recovered was that of James Edward Blackman https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2752775/james-edward-blackman/. The RN article says he was from Southsea, but his parents lived in Beckenham.

Thanks for bringing to our attention = RIP lads.

4 hours ago, kjh1702 said:

Here is a link to our website which details the search for HMS Jason and remembers the crew lost. I hope the group will find it of interest

Kevin 

HMS JASON - LOSTINWATERSDEEP.CO.UK

Kevin,

Welcome to GWF.

Thank you for your interesting link.

Gratitude and congratulations go to the search and dive teams - well done all.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Thank you very much. Wendy and I hope that the site is of interest to this group. Wendy also runs a site commemorating those lost on HMS Vanguard here in Orkney. 

Kevin