Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Record Index cards

derrickduncan

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It looks as if Hugh was in the transport section of his MGC unit which was quite substantial in order to administer the prolific amounts of ammunition needed by machine gun companies (after early 1918 machine gun battalions).

Knew you would come up with an answer that would fit Hugh's dress. :thumbsup:

M

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

It looks as if Hugh was in the transport section of his MGC unit which was quite substantial in order to administer the prolific amounts of ammunition needed by machine gun companies (after early 1918 machine gun battalions).  George is wearing typical khaki drill (which wasn’t linen but a very stout (heavy) cotton twill), as was worn in the MEF (Gallipoli inclusive) during the hot months.  It was only in the colder months and at night that mixed dress of wool serge (SD) and khaki drill were worn.

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It looks as if Hugh was in the transport section of his MGC unit which was quite substantial in order to administer the prolific amounts of ammunition needed by machine gun companies (after early 1918 machine gun battalions).  George is wearing typical khaki drill (which wasn’t linen but a very stout (heavy) cotton twill), as was worn in the MEF (Gallipoli inclusive) during the hot months.  It was only in the colder months and at night that mixed dress of wool serge (SD) and khaki drill were worn.

Ok guys , sorry my mistake, just looked at MGC company picture from 1918, that I forgot I had. George and other officers have crossed mg on their lapels and hats, privates like my grandfather have them on their shoulders and hats. 
Hugh was a ploughman and it would make sense for him to become a driver (horse/mule) after his wound which I would now say must have been January to November 1916. All of the men have a lanyard but only drivers have the whip. Thanks for your help, I’ll let my brother know he got it wrong. 

17 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Knew you would come up with an answer that would fit Hugh's dress. :thumbsup:

M

It’s not impossible that he was MGC cavalry, but it’s unlikely given his background, they were usually ex cavalrymen machine gunners.  As an ex RSF infantryman he’s more probably transport section.

01A7133A-C671-4846-9ED2-A6CA624A2FEA.jpeg

995F0F9A-463E-4078-BEE3-4B4AA9D0F4C6.jpeg

87D5AD38-2F19-4604-ABD9-83ADAEDE6D1D.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

12 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It looks as if Hugh was in the transport section of his MGC unit, which was quite substantial in order to administer the prolific amounts of ammunition needed by machine gun companies (after early 1918 machine gun battalions).  That is evidenced by his bandolier.
George is wearing typical khaki drill (which wasn’t linen but a very stout (heavy) cotton twill), as was worn in the MEF (Gallipoli inclusive) during the hot months.  It was only in the colder months and at night (when temperatures plummeted) that mixed dress of wool serge (SD) and khaki drill were worn.  Both men appear to have short, large lettered shoulder titles, which is commensurate with the MGC practice.  Conversely the RSF titles were smaller and in at least two parts (more if Territorials).

D7CCF8B4-03C9-4B0E-9E9C-1E5D4288BD8C.jpeg

They were both Territorials at the beginning of the war.

17 hours ago, derrickduncan said:

They were both Territorials at the beginning of the war.

By late 1916 they would be less likely to have the T number (third and fourth tiers) of their shoulder titles following the introduction of the military service act and concomitant conscription.  The T became unpopular anyway as the regulars teased them and they snagged things. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

There is a Thomas Paton 4th RSF 7836 who is in a Casualty List Aug 1915.

Date of entry is 6/6/15 Balkans. Died October 1915 of dysentery.

From Kilmarnock. Could he be a relative that was saved by George?

TEW

10 minutes ago, TEW said:

TEW

Not a relative (that I know of) plus he died in the Balkans, definitely Hugh’s life he saved, George and Hugh stayed great friends for the rest of their lives and George was the Paton family hero. 

5 hours ago, derrickduncan said:

They went straight to Mudros on the HMTS Mauritania, then to Gallipoli, their friends went to Egypt then on to Salonica. George’s 3 theatres of war , were Gallipoli 8 months, Palestine 11 months and France 15 months. Hugh was in Gallipoli for about a month before being shot during an attack on the Turkish Trenches, then evacuated for rest and recuperation. He then spent a further 27 months in Egypt and Palestine, being wounded again in November 2017. Don’t know if he then went on to France.

This seems awfully specific - What are the sources/references/evidence for Hugh PATON and/or George YOUNG to have done this?

45 minutes ago, derrickduncan said:

Hugh was a ploughman and it would make sense for him to become a driver (horse/mule) after his wound which I would now say must have been January to November 1916.

Wondering where that wounding period came from?? [Edit: Just worked out the period between total evacuation of Gallipoli and his second wounding that you have mentioned above]

Not compatible with wounding in Gallipoli those dates and I don't think we have [yet?] found anything that might suggest he was there.

So potentially first wounded in Egypt/Palestine?  Might that be plausible?  Would be best if we could find him on a Casualty List(s) somewhere.

Real problem not finding any evidence of a ToW before 1/1/16 [after which they stopped putting dates on MIC] for Hugh.

???
M

Edited by Matlock1418
expand & edit

26 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

This seems awfully specific - What are the sources/references/evidence for Hugh PATON and/or George YOUNG to have done this?

Wondering where that wounding period came from?? [Edit: Just worked out the period between total evacuation of Gallipoli and his second wounding that you have mentioned above]

Not compatible with wounding in Gallipoli those dates and I don't think we have [yet?] found anything that might suggest he was there.

So potentially first wounded in Egypt/Palestine?  Might that be plausible?  Would be best if we could find him on a Casualty List(s) somewhere.

Real problem not finding any evidence of a ToW before 1/1/16 [after which they stopped putting dates on MIC] for Hugh.

???
M

26 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

???
M

If the story is true and George was at Gallipoli up to evacuation at the end of December/beginning of January 1916, and then went  home on officer training in November 1916, then Hugh would have had to arrive in war zone and interact with George sometime between those dates. George did not go back to Palestine, he was sent to France after training.

1 hour ago, derrickduncan said:
1 hour ago, TEW said:

TEW

Not a relative (that I know of) plus he died in the Balkans, definitely Hugh’s life he saved, George and Hugh stayed great friends for the rest of their lives and George was the Paton family hero. 

Just in case it helps sometime [you never know!]:

WFA/Fold3 have dependent's pension cards for Thomas PATON, 4th RSF, 7836 - Mother was Sarah, 61 Robertson Place, Kilmarnock and father was William, 63 Taylor Avenue, Longpark, Kilmarnock

CWGC https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/109592/t-paton 

MIC shows he landed 2B Balkans 6.6.1915 - so got a 1914-15 Star, BWM & VM - medal roll is completely different to Hugh's

34 minutes ago, derrickduncan said:

If the story is true and George was at Gallipoli up to evacuation at the end of December/beginning of January 1916, and then went  home on officer training in November 1916, then Hugh would have had to arrive in war zone and interact with George sometime between those dates. George did not go back to Palestine, he was sent to France after training.

George YOUNG seems likely an easier one to track at the moment - don't know if ready access to TNA, Kew, is possible - but George's Officers papers are available. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1137508 [unfortunately not digitised - then again they may have been seen already]

And this rather looks like his London Gazette commissioning entry https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30136/supplement/6037

The undermentioned cadets to be temp. 2nd Lts ... 28 May 1917 ... MACHINE GUN CORPS (INFANTRY) ... George Young

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

14 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Just in case it helps sometime [you never know!]:

WFA/Fold3 have dependent's pension cards for Thomas PATON, 4th RSF, 7836 - Mother was Sarah, 61 Robertson Place, Kilmarnock and father was William, 63 Taylor Avenue, Longpark, Kilmarnock

CWGC https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/109592/t-paton 

MIC shows he landed 2B Balkans 6.6.1915 - so got a 1914-15 Star, BWM & VM - medal roll is completely different to Hugh's

George YOUNG seems likely an easier one to track at the moment - don't know if ready access to TNA, Kew, is possible - but George's Officers papers are available. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1137508 [unfortunately not digitised - then again they may have been seen already]

And this rather looks like his London Gazette commissioning entry https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30136/supplement/6037

The undermentioned cadets to be temp. 2nd Lts ... 28 May 1917 ... MACHINE GUN CORPS (INFANTRY) ... George Young

M

Yes George was my grandads cousin , as well as his best friend, and we have most of his records. Don’t know why but George and Hugh thought George getting his M.C. was because of saving my Hugh’s  life. My research highlighted that only officers could get an M.C. at stage of the war.

57 minutes ago, derrickduncan said:

Don’t know why but George and Hugh thought George getting his M.C. was because of saving my Hugh’s  life. My research highlighted that only officers could get an M.C. at stage of the war.

Military Cross awards usually came with a citation [unless a Birthday Honours award - either combined in a single LG or as separate announcements] - and generated an extra MIC

Have you found the LG award and/or LG citation for his MC? Or a MC MIC?

Or, for that matter, any LG entry with MC against his name - e.g. on promotion perhaps or on relinquishing his commission?

M

Edit: Do you know George YOUNG's Bn in the MGC?

I have found this 5 June 1919 Birthday Honours LG [without citation] for: T./Lt. George Young; 18th Bn., M.G. Corps - see pages 6823 and 6836 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31370/page/6836 = ??? I believe a BH award for a MC might perhaps not have a specific gallantry background or citation - but there are those out there who know much better about such matters than me!! = ???

Edit: MC awards commonly made the newspapers - worth checking, especially those local to where he and/or his parents lived [especially during the war]

Also worth looking in newspapers for any tales fromthe front - about woundings and timely heroic rescues etc. - these might pre-date any award.

Edited by Matlock1418
Edit and LG Link

26 minutes ago, derrickduncan said:

My research highlighted that only officers could get an M.C. at stage of the war.

Commissioned officers AND warrant officers, Derrick.

There is a MC card to a George Young of 18th Bn. MGC in WO389/24. Gazetted 3/6/919.

TEW 

1 minute ago, TEW said:

There is a MC card to a George Young of 18th Bn. MGC in WO389/24. Gazetted 3/6/919.

You posted just as I was adding an edit above - I wonder if this is the right officer?  Hope the OP knows his George YOUNG's MGC Bn!

M

8 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Military Cross awards usually came with a citation [unless a Birthday Honours award - either combined in a single LG or as separate announcements] - and generated an extra MIC

Have you found the LG award and/or LG citation for his MC? Or a MC MIC?

Or, for that matter, any LG entry with MC against his name - e.g. on promotion perhaps or on relinquishing his commission?

M

Edit: Do you know George YOUNG's Bn in the MGC?

I have found this 5 June 1919 Birthday Honours LG [without citation] for: T./Lt. George Young; 18th Bn., M.G. Corps - see pages 6823 and 6836 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31370/page/6836 = ??? I believe a BH award for a MC might perhaps not have a specific gallantry background or citation - but there are those out there who know much better about such matters than me!! = ???

Edit: MC awards commonly made the newspapers - worth checking, especially those local to where he and/or his parents lived [especially during the war]

Also worth looking in newspapers for any tales fromthe front - about woundings and timely heroic rescues etc. - these might pre-date any award.

I am at work just now but have the details somewhere. I seem to remember the citation was pretty non specific and Georges grandson got a comment on a forum that after the war Officer records were examined and some officers were awarded the MC in the way a MBE would be awarded today. We never questioned the story of the award till after anyone who would have known exact details were gone. There was no internet searches or forums in those days. All we now have is my mothers story of George saving Hugh and the Young family story that George got the award for saving someone from no man’s land. My mother said Hugh and George believed that was why he got the award. My own thought goes with the MBE theory, George rose from private to Acting Captain, was wounded twice and gassed once, he must have been a good soldier and not having got a medal during the war certainly deserved one.

There is a LG entry https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32541/supplement/9989 

War Office,
6th December, 1921.
REGULAR FORCES.
INFANTRY.
Service Battalions.
The undermentioned relinquish their commissions on. completion of service: —
1 Sept. 1921.
MACHINE GUN CORPS (INFANTRY) ... 
Temp. Lts., and retain the rank of Lt.:— ... G. Young, M.C.

Perhaps your George YOUNG.

M

• Admin
2 hours ago, derrickduncan said:

I seem to remember the citation was pretty non specific and Georges grandson got a comment on a forum that after the war Officer records were examined and some officers were awarded the MC in the way a MBE would be awarded today.

3rd June 1919 is known as the "Peace Gazette', no citations were published, though some may have been for individual acts of gallantry they were for distinguished service and contribution to the victory in France and Flanders..  It was in fact the King's Birthday Honours which was published each year but in 1919 happened to coincide with the peace negotiations.  The Supplement published on the 3rd June was the supplement to the 30 May issue.  The only citation is in the preamble which states:-

"SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 3 JUNE, 1919. (page) 6813
War Office,
3rd June, 1919.-
The KING lias been graciously pleased, on
the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to ap-
prove of the undermentioned rewards for dis-
' tinguished service in connection with Military
Operations in France and Flanders."

The first mention of 2nd Lieut G. Young in the 18th Battalion War diary that I can see is the Appendix for the month of May which states he rejoined the Battalion from hospital and taken on strength on the 25th May 1918.

Lt G. Young was taken off strength' to the the UK for demobilisation 7th February 1918.  I've only skimmed the diary but it appears he was in constant action throughout this period.Yhe 18th Battalion like all the MGC Battalions formed in February 1918 tended to retain an affinity with their original Brigade Companies.

It's an over simplification to give an equivalence to the MBE; while they may not have been awarded for an individual act the citation from the CO might read something like 'untiring effort under fire'.  Th number of officers killed and wounded during his period with the 18th Battalion is testament to that effort and their achievements in battle.

• Admin

OK trying a different tack I have been through the medal index cards and now even wondering if George Young made it to Gallipoli!

We know these men from the Royal Scots Fusiliers 4th Bn formed the nucleus of 155 Company MGC 

The number range is  56247 to 56312  if we believe the family story there has been an administrative error.  I have therefore looked at the medal index cards for all these men.No service records appear to have survived.

The 4th Battalion, or more precisely the 1/4th Rolls,invariably show date of entry into theatre 2b for their arrival in the Dardanelles as 6.6.1915. 

We can assume the 155th Coy MGC was formed from men of the 1/4th and 1/5th Bus Royal Scots Fusiliers, the great majority of these men accord with the 1/4th entry date on their medal index cards, if I've added it up right  48/65 entered theatre 2b on the  same date as given in the Rolls for the main body, i.e. 6.6.1915

So examining the outliers we have George Young entering Egypt 20.5.1915 and 8354/56258 Northcote entering theatre 3 on the 10.6.1915

We have a reinforcement draft entering the Dardanelles on the 5.9.1915  7577/56271 Gemmell and 9316/56288 Dickson on 10.11.1915

Allowing for a couple of errors by the medals office and a couple I couldn't find  the following who joined the bCompany have no qualification for the 14-15 Star

7543/56247 Woods

7524/56256 Paton

7950/56291 Gibson

8227/56287 Denim

8380/56295 Hill

6999/56310 Mc Cartney

9181/56309 Smith

The biggest error is 6381/56820 Dorrach/Drrock who has four cards one of which has no Star and one with the common date of entry, the other two relate to an emblem and finally referencing an mid

Unfortunately we are trying to prove a negative, i.e. that Hugh Paton did not gp to Gallipoli and dis not enter a theatre of war until after 31.12.1915.

That is what all the extant records point to but mistakes were made.  Nevertheless those who entered theatre with the 1/4 on the 6.6.1915 have been meticulously recorded, with the exception of Dorrach who has two cards one showing the 14- 15 Star and one not.

I have the full list but it has my abbreviations so not fit for publication in its present form.

The only reason I can think Hugh Paton did not go to Gallipoli is his age and we have not been told that.  We know he enlisted in the 4th RSF with George Young around April/May 19113, but once mobilised on the declaration of war we don't know what happened to them.  It's clear however they were both in Egypt when the 155 Coy MGC was formed. George did not leave for the UK until much later, but when he did they parted company.

There are a couple of further anomalies in the mics 

7923/56290 Fleming RE 413826 T0W  (5a) 19.5.1915

and

9602 (corrected) 56286 TOW (1) 9.9.15

and

8354 56258  Northcote  TOW ( 3 )10.6.15

My conclusion, on the balance of probability and without further genealogical information would be that Pte Paton did not serve in the Dardanelles.

On 19/04/2022 at 21:12, Matlock1418 said:
On 19/04/2022 at 15:45, derrickduncan said:

They went straight to Mudros on the HMTS Mauritania, then to Gallipoli, their friends went to Egypt then on to Salonica. George’s 3 theatres of war , were Gallipoli 8 months, Palestine 11 months and France 15 months. Hugh was in Gallipoli for about a month before being shot during an attack on the Turkish Trenches, then evacuated for rest and recuperation. He then spent a further 27 months in Egypt and Palestine, being wounded again in November 2017. Don’t know if he then went on to France.

Returning to this ... I again ask the question about the sources/references/evidence - from the Hugh PATON, and hopefully also the George YOUNG, perspective.

23 hours ago, derrickduncan said:

George was my grandads cousin , as well as his best friend, and we have most of his records.

What records do you have for George YOUNG?

Notably, do you have you his Officer's Record from TNA, Kew? [Accepting that it may not have all the answers!]

M

11 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Returning to this ... I again ask the question about the sources/references/evidence - from the Hugh PATON, and hopefully also the George YOUNG, perspective.

What records do you have for George YOUNG?

Notably, do you have you his Officer's Record from TNA, Kew? [Accepting that it may not have all the answers!]

On Hugh, I only have the medal card , the photo,  Family oral history and a newspaper report from December 1917 that he had been slightly wounded in action in Egypt.

On George definitely don’t have his officers record, didn’t even know such a thing was available.

5 minutes ago, derrickduncan said:

a newspaper report from December 1917 that he had been slightly wounded in action in Egypt.

Might it perhaps be worth postng a scan?

On 19/04/2022 at 22:11, Matlock1418 said:

don't know if ready access to TNA, Kew, is possible - but George's Officers papers are available. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1137508 [unfortunately not digitised

3 minutes ago, derrickduncan said:

On George definitely don’t have his officers record, didn’t even know such a thing was available.

See previously. :whistle:

M

2 hours ago, kenf48 said:

OK trying a different tack I have been through the medal index cards and now even wondering if George Young made it to Gallipoli!

We know these men from the Royal Scots Fusiliers 4th Bn formed the nucleus of 155 Company MGC 

The number range is  56247 to 56312  if we believe the family story there has been an administrative error.  I have therefore looked at the medal index cards for all these men.No service records appear to have survived.

The 4th Battalion, or more precisely the 1/4th Rolls,invariably show date of entry into theatre 2b for their arrival in the Dardanelles as 6.6.1915. 

We can assume the 155th Coy MGC was formed from men of the 1/4th and 1/5th Bus Royal Scots Fusiliers, the great majority of these men accord with the 1/4th entry date on their medal index cards, if I've added it up right after a couple of g and ts and covid 48/65 entered theatre 2b 0n the same date as given in the Rolls for the main body, i.e. 6.6.1915

So examining the outliers we have George Young entering Egypt 20.5.1915 and 8354/56258 Northcote entering theatre 3 on the 10.6.1915

We have a reinforcement draft entering the Dardanelles on the 5.9.1915  7577/56271 Gemmell and 9316/56288 Dickson on 10.11.1915

Allowing for a couple of errors by the medals office and a couple I couldn't find  the following who joined the bCompany have no qualification for the 14-15 Star

7543/56247 Woods

7524/56256 Paton

7950/56291 Gibson

8227/56287 Denim

8380/56295 Hill

6999/56310 Mc Cartney

9181/56309 Smith

The biggest error is 6381/56820 Dorrach/Drrock who has four cards one of which has no Star and one with the common date of entry, the other two relate to an emblem and finally referencing an mid

Unfortunately we are trying to prove a negative, i.e. that Hugh Paton did not gp to Gallipoli and dis not enter a theatre of war until after 31.12.1915.

That is what all the extant records point to but mistakes were made.  Nevertheless those who entered theatre with the 1/4 on the 6.6.1915 have been meticulously recorded, with the exception of Dorrach who has two cards one showing the 14- 15 Star and one not.

I have the full list but it has my abbreviations so not fit for publication in its present form.

The only reason I can think Hugh Paton did not go to Gallipoli is his age and we have not been told that.  We know he enlisted in the 4th RSF with George Young around April/May 19113, but once mobilised on the declaration of war we don't know what happened to them.  It's clear however they were both in Egypt when the 155 Coy MGC was formed. George did not leave for the UK until much later, but when he did they parted company.

There are a couple of further anomalies in the mics 

7923/56290 Fleming RE 413826 T0W  (5a) 19.5.1915

and

9602 (corrected) 56286 TOW (1) 9.9.15

and

8354 56258  Northcote  TOW ( 3 )10.6.15

My conclusion, on the balance of probability and without further genealogical information would be that Pte Paton did not serve in the Dardanelles.

Hugh was 21 on  31 March 1914, The West Kilbride Roll of Honour dated  24 Dec 1914 indicates those serving at that date includes the names of all of Hughs friends/relatives that were in the Territorials with him at the outbreak of the war, but his name is missing. There was another family story that Hughs grandfather who was his boss on the farm had not been pleased at the timing and  "persuaded" him to put off going to war with his friends till the harvest was all in. FYI  Another relative who was a farm hand  and I think was in the 5th RSF was allowed home regularly for for about 18 months to help on his brothers farm before he was finally deployed to France. Maybe the same thing happened to Hugh. The difference between the two of them is that there is a full set of records for the other relative, 

11 hours ago, kenf48 said:

3rd June 1919 is known as the "Peace Gazette', no citations were published, though some may have been for individual acts of gallantry they were for distinguished service and contribution to the victory in France and Flanders..  It was in fact the King's Birthday Honours which was published each year but in 1919 happened to coincide with the peace negotiations.  The Supplement published on the 3rd June was the supplement to the 30 May issue.  The only citation is in the preamble which states:-

"SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 3 JUNE, 1919. (page) 6813
War Office,
3rd June, 1919.-
The KING lias been graciously pleased, on
the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to ap-
prove of the undermentioned rewards for dis-
' tinguished service in connection with Military
Operations in France and Flanders."

The first mention of 2nd Lieut G. Young in the 18th Battalion War diary that I can see is the Appendix for the month of May which states he rejoined the Battalion from hospital and taken on strength on the 25th May 1918.

Lt G. Young was taken off strength' to the the UK for demobilisation 7th February 1918.  I've only skimmed the diary but it appears he was in constant action throughout this period.Yhe 18th Battalion like all the MGC Battalions formed in February 1918 tended to retain an affinity with their original Brigade Companies.

It's an over simplification to give an equivalence to the MBE; while they may not have been awarded for an individual act the citation from the CO might read something like 'untiring effort under fire'.  Th number of officers killed and wounded during his period with the 18th Battalion is testament to that effort and their achievements in battle.

Georges grandson John sent me the following: London Gazette 3rd June 1919 18 Battalion. Citation 31370/3 Jun 1919, also in Edinburgh Gazette.