Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Miniature DFC medals

dutchbarge

Hello, Regarding the four miniature DFC medals pictured below........I'm aware that the design of miniatures often differed from the official full-sized medals and that all the examples below are hung with post-1919 ribbons........I can't figure out if I'm looking at GRV or GRVI cyphers.  If none of these examples are GRV cyphers could someone post a photo of a DFC with a GRV cypher.......any help greatly appreciated.  Cheers, Bill

834_img_7296_c.jpg

img_02.jpg545a4357c466a.jpg

MIN1081-1.jpg

miniature-group-medals-dfc-mc_360_9cea9184ef89dd02cd83b7e58ef681ad.jpg

Edited by dutchbarge

9 hours ago, dutchbarge said:

Hello, Regarding the four miniature DFC medals pictured below........I'm aware that the design of miniatures often differed from the official full-sized medals and that all the examples below are hung with post-1919 ribbons........I can't figure out if I'm looking at GRV or GRVI cyphers.  If none of these examples are GRV cyphers could someone post a photo of a DFC with a GRV cypher.......any help greatly appreciated.  Cheers, Bill

Hello Bill, I can see why you’re confused when the medal is of relatively poor quality.  Much depended on who made them.  For both world wars (Kings’ George V and VI) the reverse of the medal is neither of the options you mention, but instead bears the cypher GRI which refers to George Rex Imperator - George, King & Emperor - [of India] and beneath it the year it was established - 1918.  The date of the medal’s actual award was inscribed on the bottom arm of the cross if full size.

NB.  after 1953 the cypher changed to EIIR (who was not Empress due to Indian independence in 1947, before her ascension).  The style (font) of lettering changed, which is a common convention for Royal cyphers across Europe, in order to mark each new reign.

794C7ED8-F174-4236-A28F-2FEA60F3AA8E.jpeg

DDB8FD8A-0127-4405-8BB4-ED71FEE148D3.jpeg

09E969EB-EF41-464F-B60D-87C7024C1D5A.jpeg

9D3D1F1A-4CCE-42E4-BAB4-BF176F46AC4A.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Once again, thank you for your learned reply and photos.......I know that the ribbons are of post-1919 design, but am I otherwise correct in assuming that the design (as opposed to the actual date of manufacture) of all the planchets I posted would be appropriate for 1918-1920?  Cheers, Bill

6 hours ago, dutchbarge said:

Once again, thank you for your learned reply and photos.......I know that the ribbons are of post-1919 design, but am I otherwise correct in assuming that the design (as opposed to the actual date of manufacture) of all the planchets I posted would be appropriate for 1918-1920?  Cheers, Bill

The ‘obverse’ (front design) was inviolate and all the images you posted are correct, albeit seemingly with varying degrees of quality Bill (there were many makers and as always the price point made a difference - you got what you paid for).  The full size medal design ‘reverse’ (rear design) was consistent, but for ‘Miniatures’ it’s clear that different makers utilised a variety of designs on that side that was not generally seen.  Some have the correct GRI, some seem to have a standardised GviR (perhaps used on other medals too), some have the word ‘COPY’ within a raised circlet, and some are completely flat with no design at all.  It’s important to note that whereas full size medals have an inviolate design for obverse and reverse (i.e. that cannot be altered), there is no such regulation for miniatures, which are purchased rather than awarded, and so entirely commercial.  Presumably simplifying the back alters the price point.  I hope that makes sense and helps with your inquiry.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Minatures are not offical issued medals, purely the discretionary purchase of the recipient. They are often poorly made and are honestly - very small so the amount of effort to engrave detailed dies was prohibaitive given the relative low potential sales price of these and they small numbers ever actually purchased or worn.. Hence the what you've seen explained above.

Note however that the 1918 WW I era DFC's, AFC's etc had no date or other inforamtino engraved on them as awarded. The practive of official engraving of dates came into use in 1938 IIRC.