Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1916 RMC graduation named

arantxa

All are wearing black or brown leather gloves - apart from the NCO

Good spot, 6! I’ve never tried rifle drill in leather gloves but I would have thought it more difficult than without gloves with SMLEs, especially with recruits.

Edited by PhilB

2 hours ago, 6RRF said:

All are wearing black or brown leather gloves - apart from the NCO

Yes, they would be brown buckskin of the type usually worn by officers with the RMC pattern service dress shown in the Adrian 1008 thread.  Even stranger, the guard bringing up the rear and only just in sight, is wearing coloured universal forage caps with their mufti instead of flat caps.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Just discovered this wonderful picture that you posted.

Could I ask permission please to reproduce the picture on my website, www.greatlinfordhistory.co.uk, as there is an Uthwatt pictured, who were the Lords of the Manor.

Regards,

John

Yes of course 

I only joined the GWF a few days ago with the hope of finding further information relating to men whose medals are in my collection.

My first 'search' and I have found an image of one of them! What a result.

Lieutenant John Stratford COLLINS, 7th (formerly 12th) Bn. Royal Sussex Regiment

British War Medal 1914-20 – Impressed: LIEUT. J.S. COLLINS.

Victory Medal 1914-19 – Impressed: LIEUT. J.S. COLLINS.

John Stratford Collins was born at Bray, Wicklow, Ireland, on 15th November 1897, and later resided at Bexhill-on-Sea, Sussex. He was killed in action during the Battle of Ancre (a phase of the Battle of the Somme 1918) on 5th April 1918, aged 20. He is buried in Bouzincourt Ridge Cemetery, Albert.

Many thanks to arantxa for sharing this wonderful picture.

Darren

1918-09-05 Report on death.jpg

Hi @Old Monkey and welcome to the forum :)

If we matched the names to the faces correctly then I believe this should be John Stratford Collins.

517128049_DCompanyRMCMarch1916sourcedfromarantxasthreadCollinscrop.jpg.1ff5f303c09be29cb0fe416439554ba8.jpg(Image rights remain with arantxa).

Hopefully  @arantxa will pop in soon and may be able to do you a better quality close up.

Good to see the witness statement. It doesn't look like there are any surviving service records for G/16323 Private Henry Thomas Longley, but as he was with the 4th Reserve Battalion in September 1918 he was most likely medically evacuated as a result of wounds, accidental injuries or ill-health, and after treatment was posted to that Battalion for refresher training and assessment of his suitability for further front line \ overseas service.

Cheers,
Peter

I will do a better close up for you