The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Bn Manchesters

Puddlemuddle77

Greetings all!

in regards to the 10th Bn Manchester Regiment in Gallipoli and Egypt, would there have been a helmet flash on the Wolseley versus on the KD tunics? I know they were with the 42nd division (red and white diamond) and I have seen some Bns with a colored diamond and a number, but wasnt sure if the 10th was the same way or which colors they used.

Thanks!

Chad

Edited by Puddlemuddle77

11 hours ago, Puddlemuddle77 said:

Greetings all!

in regards to the 10th Bn Manchester Regiment in Gallipoli and Egypt, would there have been a helmet flash on the Wolseley versus on the KD tunics? I know they were with the 42nd division (red and white diamond) and I have seen some Bns with a colored diamond and a number, but wasnt sure if the 10th was the same way or which colors they used.

Thanks!

Chad

That is another question that will no doubt be answered in David Bilton’s @poona guardnext book, covering the Territorial Force battalions.

Chad,

The 10th Manchester wore a green diamond with the figure 10 in white in the centre on both sleeves. Green was the background colour for 126th Brigade marks The Waring pamphlet on WW1  marks ( produced by the Military Heraldry Society in the 1950's or 60's) states that there was a helmet mark  - a diamond vertically bisected yellow/green with the green to the right. There is no source given and it is not clear if it refers to use on Wolseley helmets or steel helmets. There isn't an example in the IWM insignia collection which provided very nearly all of Waring's information on this subject. 

Mike

Thanks William, glad to see that confirmed.  A definite for the Wolseley helmet. I wonder if it was painted on steel helmets or a cloth version sewn to covers, must look out for that in photos.

Mike

I jave since found some more photos of the yellow and green diamond on the Wolseley. However, I have also found images of the green diamond with the 10 on the Wolseley as well. Could.one have bee  earlier and one later? Also, at what point didctheybstart wearing the 10 on the sleeves along with the plain "manchesters" metal shoulder title versus the T10 Manchesters.

Thanks!

Chad

20220419_151429.jpg

20220419_151213.jpg

20220419_151249.jpg

Here the ywllow and green diamond ones.

SNCOs 10Bn.jpeg