Jump to content
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AIF 10th Battalion


david bush
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am researching a private William herbert Hawser, an Australian private who fought in WW1

What I know

Service No: 6844

Battalion: AIF 10th

Left Aus on 7th November 16 on the Afric

Died of wounds near Poperinge on the 8th October 1917

If anyone could assist with any more details I would greatly appreciate some help.

 

very much appreciate help

Warmest

 

David

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, david bush said:

I am researching a private William herbert Hawser, an Australian private who fought in WW1

What I know

Service No: 6844

Battalion: AIF 10th

Left Aus on 7th November 16 on the Afric

Died of wounds near Poperinge on the 8th October 1917

If anyone could assist with any more details I would greatly appreciate some help.

 

very much appreciate help

Warmest

 

David

Hi David, William Herbert Vawser received a wound that penetrated his chest and caused him to have his left arm amputated. William died at the 3rd Canadian Casualty Clearing Station on the 08/10/1917. William's full record is available via Fold3 and Ancestry. I have attached the front sheet.

EB815EC9-96FE-45E9-8983-46A893F6341C.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

His service papers will be free to view via the AWM site. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

David, do not waist your money on Ancestry, for Australian WW1 records, everything available is free on-line. Just go to the AWM for unit war diaries, embankment roll, photographs, plus much more, the Australian Archives for service records, and for newspapers, Trove, and do a search by name and regimental number. If you have any difficulties there are many here who can help. You cannot however get more satisfaction than doing the searches your self.

Jeff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jeff Pickerd said:

David, do not waist your money on Ancestry, for Australian WW1 records, everything available is free on-line. Just go to the AWM for unit war diaries, embankment roll, photographs, plus much more, the Australian Archives for service records, and for newspapers, Trove, and do a search by name and regimental number. If you have any difficulties there are many here who can help. You cannot however get more satisfaction than doing the searches your self.

Jeff

 

13 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

His service papers will be free to view via the AWM site. 

Good call to you both. My error, I should have mentioned that instead of suggesting the two subs sites. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amazing, found the records, thank you for pointing me in the right direction

Link to comment
Share on other sites

David, this site is always great for a quick overview.  I use it all the time:

https://www.aif.adfa.edu.au/showPerson?pid=308406

aif5pc.gif

 

William Herbert VAWSER

 

Regimental number 6844
Place of birth Clare South Australia
Religion Church of England
Occupation Labourer
Address South Broken Hill, New South Wales
Marital status Single
Age at embarkation 26
Next of kin Aunt, Mrs E Taylor, Boughtman Street, South Broken Hill, New South Wales
Enlistment date 5 October 1916
Rank on enlistment Private
Unit name 10th Battalion, 22nd Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number 23/27/4
Embarkation details Unit embarked from Adelaide, South Australia, on board HMAT A19 Afric on 7 November 1916
Rank from Nominal Roll Private
Unit from Nominal Roll 10th Battalion
Fate Died of wounds 8 October 1917
Place of burial Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery (Plot XXI, Row D, Grave No. 3A) Belgium
Panel number, Roll of Honour,
  Australian War Memorial
60
Other details

War service: Western Front

 

Medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Aussie and NZ sites are very good and totally free - why Ancestry thinks they can rip people off for this.... 

For NZ it is the Archives (search Archway) and Papers Past for the newspapers. 

It is sometimes worth searching Trove and Papers Past for non nationals- ie British or Australians in Paperspast or vice versa in Trove as there may have been relatives in different countries who submitted stories to their local papers. 

Trove will often give you lots of family details 

Here is your man, poor chap

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/45436595?searchTerm="william herbert vawser"

South Australian BDM can be found here- I think this will be him.

https://www.genealogysa.org.au/index.php?option=com_gsa&view=gsa&layout=essearch&collection_id=birth&page_no=1&sort_by=&sort_direction=asc&Surname=vawser&GivenName=&year_from=&accuracy=

Edited by Madmeg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/04/2022 at 14:46, WhiteStarLine said:

David, this site is always great for a quick overview.  I use it all the time:

https://www.aif.adfa.edu.au/showPerson?pid=308406

aif5pc.gif

 

William Herbert VAWSER

 

Regimental number 6844
Place of birth Clare South Australia
Religion Church of England
Occupation Labourer
Address South Broken Hill, New South Wales
Marital status Single
Age at embarkation 26
Next of kin Aunt, Mrs E Taylor, Boughtman Street, South Broken Hill, New South Wales
Enlistment date 5 October 1916
Rank on enlistment Private
Unit name 10th Battalion, 22nd Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number 23/27/4
Embarkation details Unit embarked from Adelaide, South Australia, on board HMAT A19 Afric on 7 November 1916
Rank from Nominal Roll Private
Unit from Nominal Roll 10th Battalion
Fate Died of wounds 8 October 1917
Place of burial Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery (Plot XXI, Row D, Grave No. 3A) Belgium
Panel number, Roll of Honour,
  Australian War Memorial
60
Other details

War service: Western Front

 

Medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal

Wow this is amazing, thank you so much 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...