Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit or Other Markings on Webley Mark V

Azboater

Here are some photographs of my fairly early manufactured 1914 dated Webley MarkV still in original .455 Caliber.

I was wondering if any Forum member can Identify the Unit ? or other markings on the Pistol.

11/14 on the Backstrap and looks to be 2L1, HCB, and 37 stamped on the right side

Interesting that it is stamped with a faint "England" U.S. import mark, but I see no "sold out of Service" Broad arrow marks....

Thanks In Advance

IMG_6841.jpg

IMG_6845.jpg

IMG_6844.jpg

IMG_6846.jpg

Hmmmm.... 'H.C.' was for 'Home Counties', but the 'B'? The lack of stops after the letters makes me think it could be the owner's initials?

Trajan

The definition for 'H.C' is given on p.193 of Instructions for Armourers 1916. The 'Home Counties' are traditionally Buckinghamshire are Surrey alone, but the term is often used to include Berkshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Kent, and even sometimes Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Hampshire, Oxfordshire, East Sussex, and West Sussex. BUT what the Home Counties were in army minds in 1914-1916 is not known to me!

Oh, by the way, welcome to GWForum!

Julian  

Edited by trajan

Julian,

Thank you !

I appreciate you answering newbie questions so to delve further, does that mean that this Webley stayed in England during the war, as in a “ Home County” or went to war with a Home County Regiment? As In possibly the

“ 2L1” marked above the “HCB”

Home County Berkshire? HCB?

Home County Bedfordshire? HCB?

also, could the backstrap markings 

“11/14” mean the month and year, or another unit? Very Fascinating…..and this is a Great Forum!

Nick

Hello,

H. C. B. could also be the initials of the Highland Cyclist Battalion.

Cheers,

Owain.

48 minutes ago, Azboater said:

Thanks Owain

forgive my Ignorance 

there was a motorcycle or Bicycle Batallion?

Bicycle

and my interpretation would be 2/1 Highland Cyclist Battalion (TF)

which, according to the Long Long Trail:

"2/1st Battalion: Formed in Kirkcaldy in November 1914 as a second line battalion. Remained in Scotland until moving to Ireland in May 1918, where it then remained. In July 1915, it formed the 1st Provisional Cyclist Company.."

which would also correspond with the 11/14 date.

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons
add link

I think the L is being used in place of the / either in error or because they didn’t have an “/“ stamp and this was close. Such things are relatively common.

and yes, I would guess 37 ie the weapon or rack number.

Chris

• 6 months later...

By my reckoning the numbers 11/14 mean November 1914 and the lettering on the side of the frame equate to 2nd Lt H C B, ie the Officers initials.  A bit late to this and apologies if its already been covered. 

Regards