Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Tommy Helmet + cover

jimmy9fingers1

Hi all,

Am I correct that this is a Private Purchase British broadie helmet?, not sure if it should have a liner, but to me there looks to be remains of one or at least some padding fibre. It has a steel rim round the edge of the helmet, which is a bit rusty. Looks to be an original cover., but i'm not a helmet guy,

regards the cover, my pal doesn't want to remove it as it looks quite antiquated and does not want to damage it, so a bit difficult to see any markings that may give a clue as to the age/manufacturer.  

thanks,

Jim   

Image8.jpg

Image19.jpg

Image6.jpg

the helmet liner looks issue type, hard to comment on the cover, lots of people convert WWII mosquito covers by removing the netting though this does not seem to be one of them

Thanks Jerry,

that's sneaky to convert covers, i'd guess this one is right as it in the collection of an experienced collector,

I'd not seen a cover before, there appears to be a few for sale on a well known auction site, although they're decent repo's,

to me anyway        

17 hours ago, jimmy9fingers1 said:

Thanks Jerry,

that's sneaky to convert covers, i'd guess this one is right as it in the collection of an experienced collector,

I'd not seen a cover before, there appears to be a few for sale on a well known auction site, although they're decent repo's,

to me anyway        

here is the one I have, it does look very similar to the example you show

helmet cover 5.jpg

helmet cover 2.jpg

definitely similarities, at least it hasn't been fabricated to deceive, what with the presence of internal markings,

the cloth on my pals cover is certainly of quite a vintage, I realise you can create foxing and distress items also,

but my gut feeling is it 's of the period, that said WW2 wasn't yesterday either.

Thanks for taking the time to upload the decent photo's,

Jim