Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Staffordshire Regiment Museum

Kitchener's Bugle

16 hours ago, Kitchener's Bugle said:

Sgt J Ward DCM & Bar

Medal Group to Sgt J Ward DCM & Bar  Staffordshire Regiment.jpg

What was a regular of the 2nd Battalion (who were in India) doing in France attached to 35th Divisional Signal Company, Royal Engineers?

10 minutes ago, Interested said:

He has an oak leaf, presumably for a MID, but it is affixed to the French Croix-de-Guerre and not the Victory medal.   Does anyone know why this is?

That's not a British MID.

It is a Palm on the C de G known as "Palme de bronze"   for those who were cited at the army level.

20 hours ago, Kitchener's Bugle said:

I recently visited one of my favorite Regimental Museums, the Staffords which is located near to Litchfield. 

:thumbsup:

Just goes to beg the question: What did Staffordshire/the Staffords ever do for us? = From the evidence it appears quite a lot.

On a further and serious note the museum is having a Gallipoli Day event on 23 April  https://www.gallipoli-association.org/events/gallipoli-day-at-the-staffordshire-regiment-museum - so you can go and see these medals and more. And on other days!

M

Edited by Matlock1418
addit

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

:thumbsup:

Just goes to beg the question: What did Staffordshire/the Staffords ever do for us? = From the evidence it appears quite a lot.

To quote Brian Horrocks: "I have always thought that if one was prepared to take the rough with the smooth they would ultimately balance out, but this has not been the case with the North Staffordshire Regiment, who throughout their history, have had far too much of the rough and far too little of the smooth. "

On 12/04/2022 at 20:24, Matlock1418 said:

Indeed, I have of course have not features anything in the post from the 19th Century, WW2 or more modern campaigns!.

Great photos of a great museum. Visited myself (Quite a few medals on display awarded to soldiers from my area)

Thanks for sharing!

On 14/04/2022 at 02:33, Kitchener's Bugle said:

I have of course have not features anything in the post from the 19th Century, WW2 or more modern campaigns!.

So, as we know, they've done quite a lot more!!

M