Last for today, the Ps:

IMG_3832.JPG

IMG_3833.JPG

IMG_3834.JPG

10 hours ago, Charles Fair said:

The Ms

IMG_3828.JPG

IMG_3829.JPG

Thank you Charles, this is really helpful, could somebody please identify the regiment for Stanley Cecil James Martin

It says 15th Hampshires 

Thank you Charles

The Rs.  Reay shown again here for ease of finding within this thread.

IMG_3835.JPG

IMG_3836.JPG

The SSSSSs:

IMG_3837.JPG

IMG_3838.JPG

Thank you Charles

I m assuming that John Henry Knowle Kearns was sick (missing) from the picture as he was Somerset L.I and @FROGSMILE s Regimental list there is no Somerset L I Badge

We currently have 21 identified 

I see from the forms very helpfully posted by Charles that 2Lt A L Keep was commissioned for service in 11 Queens.  Captain E W J Neave's history of the battalion includes a photograph of the battalion's officers dated March 1916.  2Lt Keep is in the standing row second from the left which seems to be a perfect match for No.23 in the original photograph.  Since there were only two officers from the Queens Regiment on the 10th course I think we can safely deduce that No.16 in the original photograph is 2Lt Osborne.

2106899915_11QueensOfficers.jpg.77d2669eaada206238ebe2843349fec9.jpg

2 minutes ago, Bordercollie said:

I see from the forms very helpfully posted by Charles that 2Lt A L Keep was commissioned for service in 11 Queens.  Captain E W J Neave's history of the battalion includes a photograph of the battalion's officers dated March 1916.  2Lt Keep is in the standing row second from the left which seems to be a perfect match for No.23 in the original photograph.  Since there were only two officers from the Queens Regiment on the 10th course I think we can safely deduce that No.16 in the original photograph is 2Lt Osborne.

2106899915_11QueensOfficers.jpg.77d2669eaada206238ebe2843349fec9.jpg

I think that’s a very sound deduction.  It’s good to see this process of logical examination working so well.

13 minutes ago, adrian 1008 said:

Thank you Charles

I m assuming that John Henry Knowle Kearns was sick (missing) from the picture as he was Somerset L.I and @FROGSMILE s Regimental list there is no Somerset L I Badge

We currently have 21 identified 

There’s definitely no Prince Albert’s (Somerset) Light Infantry officer in the photo so Kearns must have been sick, dropped (much less likely for this type of course) or in a different regiment at the time of the photo.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

There’s definitely no Prince Albert’s (Somerset) Light Infantry officer in the photo so Kearns must have been sick, dropped (much less likely for this type of course) or in a different regiment at the time of the photo.

One of the original documents showing list of attendees has a note saying Kearns sick for 7 days

He appears London Gazette 03/12/1915

1 hour ago, adrian 1008 said:

One of the original documents showing list of attendees has a note saying Kearns sick for 7 days

He appears London Gazette 03/12/1915

Difficult to escape the conclusion then that it was during his 7-days sick the photo was taken.  This is entirely normal for training courses comprising groups of human beings that get sick, fall over and break a leg, or fail a key examination that can only be re-sat with a following course.  It’s easy to forget that when looking at these things in comfortable isolation one hundred years later.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Charles s spreadsheet shows no scores for the following

AGW Browne (13) as Sick

CJ Drury No trace, No enrolment form

JHK Kearns No scores sick 7 days

The Ts:

IMG_3840.JPG

IMG_3841.JPG

IMG_3842.JPG

IMG_3843.JPG

The Vs - Vernon and Vincent

IMG_3844.JPG

IMG_3652.JPG

Edited by Charles Fair
missed a V

The Ws:

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3656.JPG

IMG_3657.JPG

IMG_3658.JPG

IMG_3659.JPG

That's all the forms for the Wadham platoon.  I'll post a summary table in due course.

I need to finish entering data for the Keble and Worcester platoons for the 10th course, and all of the 11th course before I can clean up the data file and analyse it.

Charles, thank you so much for sharing this information, its a tremendous help

12 hours ago, Charles Fair said:

The Ws:

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3656.JPG

IMG_3657.JPG

IMG_3658.JPG

IMG_3659.JPG

William Wallace Could somebody please identify the Regiment please

9 minutes ago, adrian 1008 said:

William Wallace Could somebody please identify the Regiment please

16th Cheshires

On 01/05/2022 at 16:39, adrian 1008 said:

There are also a couple of anomalies. ...

Brian Hugh Morgan Tuite appears to relinquish his Commission in London Gazette Vol 1 of 1916 He then turns up as Pte 6041 serving with 9Coy Queen Victoria Rifles

I'm very interested in this case, I suspect that Tuite was found to be 'inefficient' either because of his performance on the course (NB lowish exam scores) or at the unit he was subsequently sent to. He would then have been asked to resign his commission, a process which would have taken a few weeks or months.  After that he would have been eligible for conscription.   I found his MIC with 6041 QVR, but he does not appear to have a file in WO 339 or WO 374 which would have the answers.

I have found a small number of men who did this.  I suspect the problem of 'inefficient junior officers' in 1915/early 1916 was bigger than is known, and was one of the drivers for the OCB system being set up.  By this I mean men who should never have been commissioned in the first place, at least not in a combat arm. 

I do not mean men who had previous good service but became inefficient (e.g. as a result of shell shock) which may have manifested as alcoholism or other disciplinary issues or financial problems (bouncing cheques etc.)  Statistics for these disciplinary issues are available in SMEBE and from memory amounted to c. 3,400 court martials of officers.

This is a theme I will be exploring further in my thesis and will probably set up a thread here with some of my thoughts.

Edited by Charles Fair
pressed send before I had finished!