Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Metal Detecting finds

Arne Vandendriessche

Hello,

I think it is forbidden and very strictly controlled.

Arne

22 hours ago, KIRKY said:

What are the rules in France?

Tony

Very simple. Metal detecting or collecting anything from and battlefield area in France leaves you open to a 10,000 euro fine and six months prison- And these penalties are handed out at least two or three time per year at Verdun alone.

2 hours ago, ALAN MCMAHON said:

It strikes me that metal shoulder titles were not usually discarded and their presence in the ground might indicate human remains nearby (or deeper down) - while the titles themselves might aid identification if to a particular unit

I think it much more likely that these items were simply lost. Shoulder titles and buttons have been found on local Territorial camping fields here in Mid Wales.
 I’ve read descriptions of huge piles of kit  and uniform outside CCS’s awaiting salvage, so buttons, buckles, titles etc. could easily be dislodged. 

Hello,

I found these finds in a location where there was a hospital. That hospital has never been on the front lines and no one has been killed in an attack or anything. Presumably these shoulder titles, buttons and insignia came from a pit where bloodied uniforms were burned. They did this so as not to introduce diseases into the hospital. I understand some might find it a bit disrespectful, but I keep my finds very well and note the exact location of each one.

Arne

2 hours ago, ALAN MCMAHON said:

Does the licence include recording the exact location of a find? It strikes me that metal shoulder titles were not usually discarded and their presence in the ground might indicate human remains nearby (or deeper down) - while the titles themselves might aid identification if to a particular unit

23 hours ago, healdav said:

Very simple. Metal detecting or collecting anything from and battlefield area in France leaves you open to a 10,000 euro fine and six months prison- And these penalties are handed out at least two or three time per year at Verdun alone.

I should have added that even having a metal detector in the car (even in a sealed box and brand new) is a criminal offence on or near a battlefield. One member of this forum and her family were stopped by the Gendarmerie on a battlefield because it was pouring with rain and quite obviously only collectors would be out in it!

3 hours ago, ALAN MCMAHON said:

As you may know them , then it might be useful to put up the numbers of people injured/killed  every year  as well by old ordnance.  The Red Zones around Verdun are pretty  scary at the best of times, let alone being "enthusiastic" enough to want to go plodding and digging in them.

Interesting, but I don't have any figures.

All you can really say is that as ammunition gets older, the more unstable it becomes. So it is now more dangerous than it was even last year.

When I take people into the trenches around Verdun area, I always tell people to look where they are putting their feet, and not to pick up anything at all. If they really can't resist the temptation, please tell me so that I can get the hell out of it.

In general terms I think it would be true to say that there fatalities every year. STILL.

Good evening,

in recent days, a loos agricultural worker has made a profit by piercing a toxic shell with his tractor.
he left the hospital with ophthalmic examinations to do.
yesterday during my outing on loos, I found a minen shell (7.6cm).
marked and reported to the competent service.

michel

Some other metal detecting buttons & bits, most of them are the old Foot regiment buttons. And part of a Tower Hamlets Rifles belt buckle. All the bit are from around North East Hampshire 😁

IMG_20220417_102641025_HDR.jpg

Also cool finds.

Have you ever found something that you have found the owner of?
This is one of my dreams.

Arne

No Arne.

I record most of my finds with the local FLO, finds liaison officer for Surrey/Hampshire. If it's over 300 years,  I found this the other month, part of  an iron age sword hilt guard.

Screenshot_20220321-095051~2.png

• 2 months later...

Bonjour, en Belgique la détection est autorisée en dehors des limites des sites archéologiques et des champs de bataille, à mon âge je pratique encore la détection dans les champs non cultivés, la police belge m’a déjà arrêté, ceci pour voir si je n’avais pas de munitions dans la fourniture de ma voiture, après qu’ils me laissent le faire sans problème, il y a des policiers dans ma région qui viennent avec nous en particulier des collectionneurs d’artefacts, voici mes découvertes en partie.

DSC_0088.JPG

DSC_0089.JPG

DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG

DSC_0095.JPG

Je remarque quelques personnes qui s’intéressent à l’archéologie militaire sur la première guerre, voici un livre sur quelques découvertes en France et en Belgique «  » région d’Ypres «  »

DSC_0342.JPG

DSC_0343.JPG

DSC_0344.JPG

DSC_0345.JPG

DSC_0346.JPG

DSC_0347.JPG

DSC_0348.JPG

DSC_0349.JPG

Thanks for the photos, nice finds :-).
I make sure to always search legal locations with my detector. I also have the necessary permit for Flanders.

Greetings Arne

Hello, I don't have a detection permit, the police have already arrested me, searched the vehicle, nada, they told me, as long as I don't pick up ammunition, no problem, I also respect the cultures , when it sows, I do not detect the place, there is even a farmer who told me with humor, if you find a treasure we share ..